Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gadget man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2005, 08:29 AM
    Complete apartment electrical conversion from 220V to 110V
    I am considering taking all 50 of my electronic and electrical gadgets and appliances with me to Europe. I looked into buying adapters, but instead I was wandering what it would take to convert the whole apartment to 110V. I could then grab the breakers and plugs from here before leaving. Also 50 to 60 Hz electricity is this an issue ?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2005, 09:37 AM
    I guess you could buy a large 220/115 transformer and install it between the incoming power and the apartment wiring. See www.mouser.com. That would still leave the issue of the outlets, the European ones being different from ours. There are adapters. You can buy outlets cheap too, and it isn't that much work to install them. I don't know if they would fit European boxes. I am not sure they provide grounding for 3 prong plugs either.

Anything that is all resistance should be happy on 50 hertz. Light bulbs, cooking appliances etc. Motors may be OK, just running 5/6 as fast. Some power supplies are made to work on 50 hertz too. Others may over heat. Some UPS's might work converting 50 hertz to DC and back to 60 hertz.

Big project, out of the mainstream. Expect headaches and lack of cooperation by the unimaginative. That could well include the landlord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110v vs 220v Applicances [ 8 Answers ]

I am redoing a house, and am replacing many appliances (water heater, room air conditioner, mini oven/stove). For each of these, I have the choice of either choosing 110v or 220v applicances. I've always wanted to know: - Is there an advantage to installing 220v appliances. - Is it cheaper...

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search