Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jstar00000 Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2013, 02:36 AM
    Worried about making friends in college
    My mom keeps telling me that I'm not going to make friends if I keep liking anime. She said I should branch out away from anime because no one likes it and meet new people with different interest. I know she is right but it really hurt my self-esteme. I'm always an outcast. I find it really hard to make friends that are not into anime. They always end up thinking I'm weird. In short terms I'm so worried that I won't make friends in college. Is there a way that I can insure that liking anime won't ruin my reputation. Or how to branch out. Or at least calm my nerves. Thanks! :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 04:08 AM
    If it is a "like" of anime and not an obsession then your going to be fine. We all come with a mixed bag of likes and dislikes. Just like online gamers there are many versions and each is split on what is best. Just go forth and seek your education as best as you can and the rest will follow.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 06:27 AM
    You might find a lot more opportunities to make friends because you are into anime. Some may be classmates, others may be in the community.

Are you going away for college or will you be attending one that is local and living at home?

Your mother seems concerned about you and probably would like to see you have an interest that maybe she can relate to. She is being a mother and she loves you. However, there are a lot of people who are into anime in the world. You aren't alone. If you were, there wouldn't be people LARPing (Live Action Role Playing) their favorite series and comic conventions would be a lot less crowded.

I do suggest keeping your mind open and see if something catches your interest. You might be surprised at how you can change your mind about something when it is presented in a new way.

Don't worry about reputations or 'fitting-in'. Be yourself. Be open to talking to people. If you go in with the attitude that no one will like you, it will affect how people interact with you. Don't worry about immediately making friends. Some friendships develop over a series of passing each other in the hall or standing around waiting for a classroom to become available.

Try to go into this new phase of your life with a positive attitude toward the whole experience. If you can, find and hold on to your sense of humor especially when everything seems to be going wrong. It will help reduce some of the stress.

Good luck.
    Stella_Aurea Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Hey, don't worry about it! You have your own special things that you enjoy and you don't need to change who you are for others. For the record, I have several friends who are in to anime, and we are all in college :)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2013, 08:09 PM
    It is one thing to like something and another thing entirely to use an interest to hide behind. To know the difference, enjoying anime would mean you look at it, maybe collect some of the artwork or books on the subject. It would be one of several interests, but unless a stranger or acquaintance asked you, they wouldn't know you were interested in anime.

If you start dressing in character, making your whole room anime, talk about it daily or make anime your identity, you are abandoning having your own identity and using anime to insulate yourself from having to stand up as just yourself. I have noticed that a lot of the anime "culture" really becomes costumes and taking on characters. Fine for a party here and there, but not for how you present yourself to the world day to day. It comes off as childish and weird but more important, it's not you but a character.

I suggest you just put this hobby in perspective, dress to flatter yourself not to be someone else like a cartoon. Join some other activities and cultivate other things to talk about. Don't prejudge people by categories. There are likely popular kids, jocks, academic types, band kids, etc. who would all like you and with whom you would have things in common. But if you present yourself as a cartoon character, nobody has the chance to see, meet, become friends with or fall in love with the actual you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coughing Fits Are Making Me Worried [ 5 Answers ]

At the end of November, I got what I thought to be a common cold (much to my displeasure, because with me, they stick around for a while, so I expected it to last tntil Christmas). I coughed (pretty normally, for a cold) until mid-December, when me nose ran a bit. My nose cleared up a little less...

Tensions situations in marriage life making me worried [ 2 Answers ]

I appreciate,If any one can give a solution to my problem, I recently got married whom I loved by going against to my parents also, because I thought she only can understand me well other than anyone this world by before marriage expireances, but all of sudden clouds are covered my life due to...

My girlfriend ignores me when she's up her friends, should I be worried [ 5 Answers ]

Recently she's ignored me the last few days then text me on a night saying sorry that she's in a weird mood, then asks me to text her yet when she goes up her mates, I get no response, I'm really suspicious but don't know seen as I've told her if she don't want me she should leave, but she says she...

My Wife's male friends-should I be worried. [ 17 Answers ]

I will try and make this simple. Me 55, my wife 54. Me no kids, she 3 adult kids 19, 20, 25I am her 4th husband. This is my second marriage. We have been married 6 years. When we met she had been divorced since 1995 from a Physician. She was married to him for 10 years. Prior to that she...

Should I be worried he's my boyfriend she my best friends [ 1 Answers ]

if u have a best friend wo tends to get along with every one and is a beautifull but doesn't usually mean to but sometin=mes well flirt w/ your boyfriend and everyone does it here and there unconditional not even relizing it but she so skinny and perrty not hard to wounder should u be worried?

View more questions Search