Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jordonj Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2013, 08:01 AM
    Why isn't my former teacher responding to my texts?
    So I have a former teacher who has always been my favorite teacher since middle school and I have only visited her once. We just got in touch two months ago. I have her number and about month ago I asked her if I could go see her. Well she said yes but then she had to cancel on me and told me that week wouldn't be good for me to come. So I asked about next week and she said yeah. Well next week came and I asked her but I asked while she was in school working and If I could go that day. I figured she would read it during her break or something but she never replied. So next week I asked in a better way by saying, "I understand you're busy and I hate to bother you but is there a time I can come by this week?". She still didn't reply!

So now its summer and I'm miserable! I miss her terribly. I really wish to hear back from her. I stay in touch with my other teacher and she said she doesn't know what else I could do. Do you have any idea what I can do in this situation? I really don't want to text her again because then I'll sound clingy and annoy her. I'm 16 female and she's 25.

I was also told to just go right up to her school to see her when school starts up again, should I? I've done it before.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Perhaps she feels that contact outside school would be inappropriate and has decided that not responding is less disturbing to you than telling you so outright.

I'd stop contacting her and leave her alone - why do you want to continue the relationship outside of school? Do you have friends your own age?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 19, 2013, 08:15 AM
    No, you should not text her again, nor go find her at school. She may be deliberately ignoring you, or she has a very full life that is full of people her age. And each year, she has an entire class full of students who may want similar contact. She has dates to go on, books to read, teaching credits to keep up with, possible summer jobs. She has to think of whether to save for a house or buy one now. I'm sorry, but it just isn't appropriate to think you can be part of her life. Send her a card at Christmas, and stop to say hi and chat for a few minutes if you run into her.

Jun 19, 2013, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    No, you should not text her again, nor go find her at school. She may be deliberately ignoring you, or she has a very full life that is full of people her age. And each year, she has an entire class full of students who may want similar contact. She has dates to go on, books to read, teaching credits to keep up with, possible summer jobs. She has to think of whether to save for a house or buy one now. I'm sorry, but it just isn't appropriate to think you can be part of her life. Send her a card at Christmas, and stop to say hi and chat for a few minutes if you run into her.
    I forgot to mention that I visit my other teacher and she said she never responds to her text either. And last time I visited my favorite teacher she was really happy to talk to me. We were laughing and smiling. I don't think she will be annoyed if I showed up at her school. Also I'm definitley not texting her again.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2013, 09:14 AM
    I would not just "show up." If she wanted contact with you, she would respond.

I am not saying that you are in this group, but some students almost become "groupies" for favorite teachers, and it is very difficult for teachers to disengage without hurting anyone's feelings.

Presumably this teacher has other students who are also trying to be her friend instead of her (ex) student.

Jun 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
    There aren't any other students trying to get in touch with her. She teaches at a elementary school now. Here, I will tell you what happened from the very beginning.. So I emailed her twice from my moms email and she did not respond. So I emailed her off my teachers email because we were assuming my emails were going to her junk mail. Well she got it but she didn't respond to it. So I decided to go surprise her, unfortunately she had a parent teacher conference (I went during her planning time) so we couldn't chat but she told me I can come back the day she was free. I went and we talked for about 20 minutes. Also We were close and she knows that. When I asked for her number she seemed happy to give it to me. When I had to go she walked me out and gave me a hug. She really did seem happy to be in contact with me. It has always been obvious that I was her favorite student. The reason why I plan to go show up is so I can talk to her and see if she's comfortable with being in touch and stuff. I need to know how she feels about this. I was going to call her right when she lets out to let her know I'm at the school and if she don't mind talking for a minute. I really just need to talk to her..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordonj View Post
    I really just need to talk to her..
    Why?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 10:57 AM
    You spoke with her for 20 minutes. It was nice of her to give you her phone number. Now, leave her alone and let her call you back when she has time. If you keep calling her, you're not going to get a nice response.
    current pert

Jun 19, 2013, 11:15 AM
    I am not sure you realize the enormous difference between a one time get together and habitual ones. I think she indeed might be avoiding you so that you don't crave her visits when you should be with people your age. She might be worried about an unhealthy attachment. A student and a teacher should not be developing relationships past a very occasional, perhaps once a year, short greeting and catching up on what your plans are past high school. If you have problems with something like parents not approving of your career plans or something related to education, that is something a teacher might be interested in helping to steer you toward people who can help. But for just shooting the breeze, it's not appropriate. She's not your friend; she's an ex teacher who cares about you and all her students.
    Education Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I am not sure you realize the enormous difference between a one time get together and habitual ones. I think she indeed might be avoiding you so that you don't crave her visits when you should be with people your age. She might be worried about an unhealthy attachment. A student and a teacher should not be developing relationships past a very occasional, perhaps once a year, short greeting and catching up on what your plans are past high school. If you have problems with something like parents not approving of your career plans or something related to education, that is something a teacher might be interested in helping to steer you toward people who can help. But for just shooting the breeze, it's not appropriate. She's not your friend; she's an ex teacher who cares about you and all her students.
    Well said!!

Jun 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
    We talked about me going back to visit, she's cool with me visiting. I haven't bothered her in a month. Last time I texted her was when I was asking if I can come by but she didn't reply to that. So that's why I'm asking, will she ever come around? Its summer time now. I told you my other teacher tries to text her in the past but she doesn't reply. She doesn't even reply to her emails. So its not me she has a problem with, it's the way she communicates.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
    If I were the teacher I would consider this behavior to be obsessive and would bend over backwards not to be in contact. Sometimes you just can't be polite, and the "I KNOW I was her favorite student" would chill me.

I see a needy child and a teacher who tried and now both should move on. The teacher already has.

If this has already become stalking, I'm afraid it will

You do realize that the teacher teaches as an occupation, right - it's not her life.

As a child, I find it inappropriate for you to be determining how/why adults act or react. It matters little if she responds to you. She can if she wants to. The door is closed. If she was, in fact, "cool with you visiting" she'd set up a visit. Move on.

Why do you have a need to contact her? You haven't answered me. Do you have friends your own age? What do your parents think of this? I know I have one phone for work contacts and one phone for friends. Maybe your teacher is the same.
    Education Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 12:08 PM
    We talked about me going back to visit, she's cool with me visiting. I haven't bothered her in a month. Last time I texted her was when I was asking if I can come by but she didn't reply to that. So that's why I'm asking, will she ever come around? Its summer time now. I told you my other teacher tries to text her in the past but she doesn't reply. She doesn't even reply to her emails. So its not me she has a problem with, it's the way she communicates.
    It's summer and I almost never see other teachers or speak to them. It's my time to get my house reorganized, have time with my family and friends and just relax, or do what I want. Being a teacher consumes our lives. That's why we have a short time off in the summer. We can rest our minds, voices, and get ready for another school year. Leave her alone! Honestly, you sound like a stalker.
    current pert

Jun 19, 2013, 12:22 PM
    "So its not me she has a problem with, it's the way she communicates."

Illogical. You are drawing a conclusion based on one other person's failure to get a response. That does not allow you to conclude that she feels the same way about contact from you as she does from another teacher. Not only that, she could be communicating with dozens of other people. If I were a teacher (and you heard this straight from a teacher here, jenn) I would not be in touch with students or teachers in general unless they were my close friends OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL. School is out. You are starting to sound obtuse, sorry. And you aren't answering questions about your needs.
    You are 9 years younger than she. What if a 7 year old decided she wanted a friendly, ongoing relationship with you, coming over, texting, emailing, calling? You have nothing in common.

Jun 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    It's summer and I almost never see other teachers or speak to them. It's my time to get my house reorganized, have time with my family and friends and just relax, or do what I want. Being a teacher consumes our lives. That's why we have a short time off in the summer. We can rest our minds, voices, and get ready for another school year. Leave her alone! Honestly, you sound like a stalker.
    How do I sound like a stalker?
    Education Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 12:36 PM
    How do I sound like a stalker??
    You've contacted her and met with her. That's it. Worrying about when and if she'll call you back and texting her is ridiculous. Have a fun summer with your friends and leave her alone. I'm not sure why she gave you her cell number. That's a big no-no in my book. Maybe she gave you a wrong number on purpose.

Jun 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why?
    To find out how she really feels about being in touch and if she's comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    You've contacted her and met with her. That's it. Worrying about when and if she'll call you back and texting her is ridiculous. Have a fun summer with your friends and leave her alone. I'm not sure why she gave you her cell number. That's a big no-no in my book. Maybe she gave you a wrong number on purpose.
    We've had a conversation when texting twice before. But anyway are you trying to tell me to just move on and never see her again..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 12:45 PM
    To find out how she really feels about being in touch and if she's comfortable with it.
    I was a teacher and tutor for years and am uncomfortable with how you have described your trying to be in touch with her. My first thought was stalking.

I enjoyed all my students while they were my students, but once they moved on, I really didn't want a close relationship with any of them. I was glad to help if there was a specific personal or family problem, and I would greet them happily if I saw them when out shopping or in church or at the movie theater or a restaurant, but chums we were not. My main concentration was on my current class and how best to help them through the school year.

Jun 19, 2013, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I was a teacher and tutor for years and am uncomfortable with how you have described your trying to be in touch with her. My first thought was stalking.

I enjoyed all my students while they were my students, but once they moved on, I really didn't want a close relationship with any of them. I was glad to help if there was a specific personal or family problem, and I would greet them happily if I saw them when out shopping or in church or at the movie theater or a restaurant, but chums we were not. My main concentration was on my current class and how best to help them through the school year.
    Yeah I get that but she agreed that we're close and she's different. She's got a big heart and she's not you. I was just asking if going to her school to talk to her about our relationship is okay. To see If she's comfortable with it. Then I won't be so confused and think she just doesn't want me around when she probably has a better reason for why she just wasn't replying to my texts. THAT'S ALL I Want to KNOW :( Its bothering me that's why Im asking such a "stalker" question.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 01:00 PM
    Yeah I get that but she agreed that we're close and she's different. She's got a big heart and she's not you. I was just asking if going to her school to talk to her about our relationship is okay. To see If she's comfortable with it. Then I won't be so confused and think she just doesn't want me around when she probably has a better reason for why she just wasn't replying to my texts. THAT'S ALL I WANNA KNOW :( Its bothering me that's why Im asking such a "stalker" question.
    Well, you haven't gotten any positive vibrations lately. A text is easy to reply to.

I suppose give it one last time. If she doesn't seem interested, take that as a no and closure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My "best friend" barely ever answers my texts or texts me. [ 18 Answers ]

We went to the same middle school but not high school. We used to text a lot in ninth grade and kind of in tenth grade. But now we're in eleventh grade and she never texts me and I always have to text her and she barely ever responds. Also I always make the plans to hang out and she never does. So...

DNS server isn't responding [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, recently come acrooss aa internet error :DNS server isn't responding:. I'm fed up with as my internet will work then it won't and that error will pop up. I've tried many ways of fixing it bt it still consistently doesn't work... PLEASE HELP Christiaan

What to do , my girlfriend isn't responding [ 31 Answers ]

Dear friends... I am in a relationship with my girlfriend since 4 years. We had ups and downs... but we finally patched up and had a good time. She always credited me for my love and affection toward her. Basically she's a cold hearted person, even when everything was good, she rarely used to text...

My iPod isn't responding [ 3 Answers ]

Icant turn myipod on andwhen iconnectit to the computer nothing happens,

View more questions Search