Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Jun 18, 2013, 12:15 PM
    Workers rights question.
    The company I work for runs twelve hour shifts. They allow you to take two ten minute breaks and a twenty minute break throughout each shift. The catch is though, if you don't get ahead of schedule you can not take your breaks. Every day I come into work, I have no idea if I will be able to take break or not. It is entirely possible you can end up working a twelve hour shift with little to no breaks. I am not the only one who experiences this outlandish problem. Do I have potential legal action?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
    First off we need to know where you are so we know what laws apply.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
    No federal requirement but some states have requirements. If an employer offers breaks they are required to pay the employee for the tone under specific circumstances but whether to give the breaks is optional at the federal level. Again, state laws can require more and vary.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 04:21 PM
    I have the same problem where I work. I'm a labor and delivery nurse working 12 hour night shifts. If women would stop having babies, maybe I could take a break every once in a while. I also float to the ER every once in a while. Last time I took a break during a patient having a heart attack I got written up. (note the sarcasm).

Really? You have no legal action. If you don't have your work done as expected you work through your break. This might teach you to work more efficiently.

Jun 18, 2013, 08:19 PM
    I'm in Ohio
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2013, 03:24 AM
    Ohio does not require employers to provide breaks, including lunch breaks, for workers eighteen (18) years old or older. An employer who chooses to provide a break in excess of twenty (20) minutes does not have to pay wages for lunch periods or other breaks if the employee is free to leave the worksite, in fact takes their lunch or break, and the employee does not actually perform work. According to federal law, breaks twenty (20) minutes or shorter typically must be paid.

Ohio – Wage and Hour Laws | Employment Law Handbook
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 19, 2013, 03:33 AM
    Now that this is answered, I am curious. In another post you said you had a good, well paying job. Is that true, or do you just have a reasonable paycheck for a 60 hour week (or do you work less than 5 days)? We all know where you spend a lot of what you make. Is it worth this grueling existence?

Jun 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Now that this is answered, I am curious. In another post you said you had a good, well paying job. Is that true, or do you just have a reasonable paycheck for a 60 hour week (or do you work less than 5 days)? We all know where you spend a lot of what you make. Is it worth this grueling existence?
    It pays very well but rather it's good or not is kind of subjective. I wouldn't call it good, it's 3rd shift ad very strenuous and if it wasn't for the high wage I wouldn't be there. I work less than five days a week. 36 one week and 44 the next. Regardless of where I'm spending the money I'd still be working there. Spending money on her though is worth it in my book,r and it's looking like I may get to start spending time with her outside of that place anyway.
    Becky Roberts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
    If you work more efficiently, you can take the break. Improve yourself before claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity rights question [ 14 Answers ]

All right, here's a short backstory: I was seeing a guy for a little while when things started to go downhill. He started acting very strange, clingy, and I'd find out that he would follow me places. When I told him I didn't want to see him anymore, first he got all sad and started crying, and...

Ask an employee rights question [ 8 Answers ]

Since moving buildings, we are no longer supposed to store food in the fridges (milk and medicines only), with the suggestion being that we use the restaurant (not subsidised, too expensive for the majority of staff to use every day). Several of us have had, we believe, cases of food poisoning...

Question for a nurse manager: what do you usually do to motivate workers/staff? [ 0 Answers ]

This is related to Leadership Management in Nursing, under the different management and motivation theories. It is imperative that we interview real nurses with some experience on management.

Question about mothers rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am writing to request some advice as to what I can do about my son's father trying to get 50/50 to my son, he has seen a solicitor and has demanded a few things for example: He wants to take my son for 1 week and then I have him for the other week. I do not want this. My son in 10 1/2 weeks...

Workers rights and health hazards [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend (we have been together for 8 years) has worked for the same place for the last 6 years. He works for a town in the provence I work in (N.S Canada) he works cleaning the streets, repairing streets, works with septic stations and ponds (yes we all know what's in that pond don't we) they...

View more questions Search