Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmamma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 03:36 PM
    Need help with getting rid of drain or sewer flies
    For the last few years when the temp reaches 85-90 I get a house full for drain flies. They are in multitudes in the septic tank because I have removed the cap to allow them to escape into the air hoping that will reduce the number wanting to come into the house. I have plugged or taped over every drain except for the washer pipe and the watersoftener pipe which darin into the same thing on opposite sides of the wall. They have P trap drains and are used frequently. I have repotted my houseplants, checked under the sinks, checked the drip pan under the fridge. I have not pulled out the dishwasher. I am afraid to do that alone since my husband (who is not handy at all) is currently out of town for a couple of weeks. In the past I finally break down and get the septic tank pumped out and they will clear up in a little while. The pumper says it is not necessary to pump every year and it costs about $150.00. Does anyone have a solution? Is there a product I can safely use in the tank or pipes to kill them without ruining the bacteria neede for the sewer breakdown in the septic tank? Please help if you can.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 03:52 PM
    Most of the enzymatic drain cleaners, which are what is needed to get rid of the fly larvae, are not harmful to septic tank bacteria. Some even claim to boost the microorganisms in the tank, whatever that means. I'll let the plumbers handle the mechanical issues, but it does sound like you should invest heavily in enzyme drain cleaner.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2013, 07:05 AM
    I have removed the cap to allow them to escape into the air hoping that will reduce the number wanting to come into the house.
    You'r wasting your time. They are in your house drainage system. The upside is that they can't get pasrt the water ib=n your traps. I have infected twice and they are a bear to get rid of,
    Didn't you realize that when you had all those drain flues winging around your house that you've left all the drains in your house open for the flies to get into and lay eggs. Like you I located the source of the infestation, however, In order to prevent them from finding new breading grounds I had to close off,(seal) all the drains in the house until I had to drain something. Then I sealed them up again. Then I went after them one at a time . I put up fly strips over the kitchen sink and any place I could se the little critters flying around. It took a month but now I'm clear. The very first thing you must do is find the source, in your case I'd start with the drains.
    Drain flies lay their eggs deep in the slime in the pipes below the strainer andabove the trap. Bleach orLiquid Plumber won't touch them, Getting rid of them is a long drawn out process but , with patience it can be done, I know because I've done it twice, The first, and most important is to locate the source. ( The first time was I'm my shower drain and the second is a faulty wax seal in the master bath.)
    They have a short life span, (Google drain flies to learn more about them,) Seal off all drains with duct tape so they can't get out and breed and you have started to eliminate them.
    Sorry, but there's just no easy solution. Good luck, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2013, 01:31 PM
    Catsmime,
    You asked why I found your answer to be inaccurate, While there are several new products that claim to kill the eggs you completely overlooked the infestation that's inside the house. You're a expert. You know if you're giving expert advice you should cover all points, The accepted way to kill the eggs is to wire brush every drain in the house and flush with boiling water. You failed to address that.
    Another thing I found , like the OP, you fixed on the septic tank. This is inaccurate. The drain flies into the house through the open sewer pipe. Somehow they have got past the traps and the adults are now infesting the house. Putting in enzyme in the septic tank will not help the infestation in the house. Having been infected twice myself I gave the best advice I could. My solution works since I got rid of them twice. The septic tank will always have drain flies. The problem is to get them out of the house. I hope this explains why found your post inaccurate Now that ypur attention I'll remove the reddfie so it won't be on your record. Regards, Tom
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    catsmime,
    You asked why I found your answer to be inaccurate, While there are several new products that claim to kill the eggs you completely overlooked the infestation that's inside the house. You're a expert. You know if you're giving expert advice you should cover all points, The accepted way to kill the eggs is to wire brush every drain in the house and flush with boiling water. You failed to address that.
    Another thing I found , like the OP, you fixed on the septic tank. This is inaccurate. the drain flies into the house through the open sewer pipe. Somehow they have got past the traps and the adults are now infesting the house. Putting in enzyme in the septic tank will not help the infestation in the house. Having been infected twice myself I gave the best advice I could. My solution works since I got rid of them twice. The septic tank will always have drain flies. The problem is to get them out of the house. I hope this explains why found your post inaccurate Now that ypur attention I'll remove the reddfie so it won't be on your record. Regards, Tom
    Tom, WHERE did I mention adding enzyme to the septic tank? She asked what was safe to use in a septic system. I answered.

Next, what kind of wire brush do you use on PVC pipes? Not saying that's what the OP has, but they're very common all the way to the tank nowadays. Won't wire brushes just roughen the surface and make the next coat of slime build up faster?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2013, 07:26 AM
    Hey Catsmine,
    Now that I've got your attention I'll remove the reddien so it won't be on your record.
    You see we do things a little different on this page then you seem to do over at Pest.
    We not only respond to complaints but we also give instructions and helpful hints along with our advice and solutions. The one thing we don't do is half answer a question and then tell the OP to look else where for a solution.
    I'll let the plumbers handle the mechanical issues
    If we mention a product we give brand names, tell them where to buy it and, most importantly, instructions on its use and application.
    You failed all the way around. Since the OP fixed on the septic system you went along and told her that the enzyme drain cleaner wouldn't harm her septic tank. You mentioned the fly larvae but completely overlooked the original complaint which was the adult drain flies in her house. Oh yeah! I forget. You said
    I'll let the plumbers handle the mechanical issues,
    Were we mistaken or are you listed as a pest control expert? What's missing from your answer? That's right! Mostly everything needed for a solution, And that's why I found your post to be "not helpful", I hope you take this as a learning experience and it helps you in the future. Have a great day, Tom
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 02:44 AM
    Hey Catsmine,
    Now that I've got your attention I'll remove the reddien so it won't be on your record.
    You see we do things a little different on this page then you seem to do over at Pest.
    We not only respond to complaints but we also give instructions and helpful hints along with our advice and solutions. The one thing we don't do is half answer a question and then tell the OP to look else where for a solution. If we mention a product we give brand names, tell them where to buy it and, most importantly, instructions on its use and application.
    You failed all the way around. Since the OP fixed on the septic system you went along and told her that the enzyme drain cleaner wouldn't harm her septic tank. You mentioned the fly larvae but completely overlooked the original complaint which was the adult drain flies in her house. Oh yeah! I forget. You said Were we mistaken or are you listed as a pest control expert? What's missing from your answer? That's right! Mostly everything needed for a solution, And that's why I found your post to be "not helpful", I hope you take this as a learning experience and it helps you in the future. Have a great day, Tom
    Very well. Let me restate my original answer in terms even a plumber can understand.

Pmamma,
    1. Find an enzyme based drain cleaner. It won't hurt your septic tank. If it says it kills eggs, it isn't an enzyme based product. There are many and brand names vary from area to area so I don't advertise specific brands.

2. Get a lot. You'll need to treat twice.

3. Read the directions. Follow them. Treat ALL the drains in your house, including the floor drains in the basement if you have one and most especially the ones that don't see much use.

That's all you need to do.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2013, 06:13 AM
    I hate to tell you but your 0riginal Answer sucked. It wouldn't have sucked if you had included the instructions in your last post. But you didn't. Did you?

Also telling her,
    That's all you need to do.
    was ompletely wrong.
    You failed to address the OPs original complaint which was how to get rid of all the adult drain flies in her house.
    I'm not trying to "bust your chops" but if you're going to come on this page as a expert you're expected to act like one and that means touching all bases in your answer. Can't you see that your answer fell way short? I've never been 9ovefr to the Pest Page but Your answers and solutions have just got to be better the one you gave her. Peace and love. Tom
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
    I hate to tell ya but your 0riginal Answer sucked. It wouldn't have sucked if you had included the instructions in your last post. But you didn't. Did you?

Also telling her, was ompletely wrong.
    You failed to address the OPs original complaint which was how to get rid of all the adult drain flies in her house.
    I'm not trying to "bust your chops" but if you're going to come on this page as a expert you're expected to act like one and that means touching all bases in your answer. Can't you see that your answer fell way short? I've never been 9ovefr to the Pest Page but Your answers and solutions have just gotta be better the the one you gave her. Peace and love., Tom
    I answered her question, which you completely ignored while telling her to do everything she said she'd already done.

Sorry my original answer wasn't explicit enough for your board. I give the people that ask questions credit for enough intelligence to think if they show enough to use complete sentences.

The adults are so short-lived that once the breeding is stopped they'll be gone. I repeat, ALL that needs to be done is remove the maturation sites in the drains.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2013, 03:45 PM
    This thread's going nowhere. You said to
    I'll let the plumbers handle the mechanical iss
    Great Advice! And we did just that. Case closed and unless Pmamma clicks back this thread is closed and our discussion is over..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

How do you get rid of sewer flies? [ 0 Answers ]

I have these little black flies in my sump pump tank and main drain in the laundry room. I have clean both with drain cleaner until water is clear. But they keep coming back is there a better way of getting rid of these pest?

How to get rid of drain flies in basement [ 2 Answers ]

We have drain flies in our basement... a lot of them... we have a toilet , a shower and double tubs down their as well as a floor drain... bleach and drano has not helped.. it is really grossing me out... prior to this the toilet was not used much and the shower not for a long time... is it...

How to get rid of drain flies? [ 0 Answers ]

I have had the horrible smell that something was dead in my home and nothing was to be found the smell went away after a couple of days and all these flies started appearing really bad in the guest bathroom and a little around the kitchen sink... how do I get rid of these flies and keep them from...

Drain/sewer flies [ 4 Answers ]

We cannot get rid of drain/sewer flies. They are apparently breading in the dirt under our slab floor. We treated our sinks and drains for 2 years to no avail. Our plumbers finally suspected a cracked pipe; there were several: the toilet pipe, the bathroom sink pipe, the kitchen sink pipe...

View more questions Search