Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TaxFill Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 10:24 AM
    H1(Resident Alien) with spouse(h4)
    Hi,

I am a resident alien for tax purposes and I got married in India last year(2006). But my wife joint my in jan, 2007.

1) Can I still file tax jointly considering my wife as a spouse of resident alien.
    2)I also need W-7 form to get an ITIN for my wife. If I can not file jointly Can I still submit
    W-7 form along with F1040
    Your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    its_me Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
    I have a similar question. Although I got married in Feb 2007 and my wife is in US with me now. A friend of mine was in the same situation last year and he did get deductions for his wife. Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
    TaxFill:

YOU can file jointly with your wife; her physical location in 2006 is not relevenet. File the W-7 only if you are filing jointly. The IRS will not issue the ITIN if it is not needed for the tax return.

Its Me:

You CANNOT file jointly with your wife, as you were NOT married on 31 December 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fill in tax form as resident alien or non resident ? [ 7 Answers ]

I am from China and I held B1 to enter US in Jan.2001 and changed the status B1 to F1 on 12/26/2001. I returned to China and returned to USA in 2005 with a new F1 visa . I had no income in 2001 and 2002 and I failed to fill in the tax return in 2001 and 2002 since I didn't know I needed to do so ...

Tax-Resident Alien or non-resident Alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know if I need to file my tax returns as resident alient or non resident. - I am on H1B visa (married and wife is on H4). Came to US in Aug 2006 - I was in US in 2005 (280 days) and in 2004 (240days). As per the IRS I pass the present test of 183 days in the past 3 years. -...

H1 (Resident Alien) and H4 (NR Alien) joint tax problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have been in the US since 2003 and have filed as a NON-Resident Alien for the tax year 2005 (I was a student). My H1B started Jan 1, 2006 and I got married on Aug 28th 2006. My wife joined me on my way back on a H4 visa. I know that we can both file as a Resident Aliens. 1. Is our STD...

Spouse of resident alien [ 3 Answers ]

I have an L1 visa and have been resident in the US since 1st Jan 2006. I am married and my wife accompanied me on L2 visa, and is also resident with me since 1st Jan 2006. While I work in the US and have an SSN, my wife does not work (and is also not eligible for SSN), and also has no income. She...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search