Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    college_felon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
    Felon wants to go to college. What field can I go into??
    I'm 27. My case is bank fraud. I was young & dumb. That was 2007. It's currently 2013. I want to go to college, but not sure what my options are. I've stayed out of trouble since except parking tickets. My p.o. said she'd write me a letter of recommendation because I've been on probation for four years without any trouble. I work a crummy factory job making $9.32 hr. I'm a single mama & just want a better future for my child & me.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
    What do you want to do? What interests you?

Jun 16, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    What do you want to do? What interests you?
    . Psychology. Sociology. Cosmetology. Auto mechanic. Anything that makes a lot of $.
    Education Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by college_felon View Post
    . Psychology. Sociology. Cosmetology. Auto mechanic. Anything that makes a lot of $.
    Well, you can attend trade schools for cosmetology and automotive. Psychology and sociology will take many years of education before you can make a good living. How will you decide?

Jun 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
    Except cosmetologists don't make that much $. They live off tips. I might as well be a waitress. Mechanic I could do, then I wouldn't have 2 hound people 2 fix my car because I could do it myself. How much do mechanics make & what's the job demand like?
    Education Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by college_felon View Post
    Except cosmetologists don't make that much $. They live off tips. I might as well be a waitress. Mechanic I could do, then I wouldn't have 2 hound people 2 fix my car bc I could do it myself. How much do mechanics make & what's the job demand like?
    I'll have to leave that answer to our auto mechanic experts, but it would depend on the area you live in.

Jun 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
    Cleveland, Ohio
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 17, 2013, 02:54 AM
    First - how will you support the 2 of you while in college?
    Second - mechanics make a wide range of wages. It's a bit like waiting tables, where you can make a lot or practically nothing. A good waiter in a good restaurant who knows how to charm as well as get the food out quickly and correctly makes a TON.
    Mechanics at dealers make more and have better working conditions like HEAT in the winter. The ones in gas stations and small places freeze all winter and boil all summer. You have to be strong. You should have quite a bit of car knowledge before you even start the course. Do you know a generator from an alternator? I'm all for female mechanics, but you have to like mechanics first, not just think in terms of dollars, or you will be just changing oil, probably for $10/hr.
    Nurses make the highest wage for the amount of schooling (average in Ohio right now is $65,000). I don't know if you could get a license; it might be decided on a case basis. You could ask the Ohio Board of Nursing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can a felon go to college for? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm currently attending school for office asst. I want to further my education to have a job where I can financially support my daughter and I on my own. I have a felony and unfortunately that does put a door up in many cases. I do know there are doors open as well. I just need some help in being...

Could a convicted felon get a job in the medical field in the state of virginia? [ 2 Answers ]

If your convicted of forgery could you get into the medical field as a medical assistant the charges were back in 2002 and have been staying clean since that time did 2 years probation due to first ever charge

Ex-felon wants college [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wanting to attend college I'm twenty years old and have been conficted of 3 felonies. None of them are violant or drug related what type of degrees in college can I major in an get a job when I complete school?

Felon and college [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a felon, just convicted back in August for dealing marijuana. And I am wanting to get into a recognized school for Audio Engineering. I am currently attending IVY Tech and have a 4.0, but would rather have a degree from a more prestigious college. Does anyone know if it is possible...

What do I go to college for as a felon? [ 9 Answers ]

I am almost 23 and a felon... I've been working dead end labor jobs for the past 4 and a half years and decided I want to go college to make more money because I can't survive now on my own with what I make a year... so my question is what can I go to school to study for that will overall give me a...

View more questions Search