Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letitsnow324 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
    How to get better at writing?
    My goal isn't to be able to write a book or something, but to be decent at writing essays, cover letters, etc. I'm 19 years old and a rising sophomore in college, yet when asked to write a ~5 page essay for my coursework, I take up to 15 hours trying to come up with something to write about, and end up producing very mediocre (think B/B+) work. I take so long, mainly because I'm aware that whatever I'm writing isn't particularly good. The same could be said for writing small essays for scholarship applications.

I know that it is somewhat of an innate thing to be an excellent writer, but natural skill can only take you so far, no? Is it possible for someone who's already graduated from college to become really good at writing? Apparently reading really helps people become better writers. Would reading news magazines like New Yorker and Guardian be a good way for me to be exposed to good writing? What else should I do to try to get better at it? I already have decent grammar and what not (for what it's worth, I got an 800 on the writing portion of the SAT in high school), but I'm not very good at actually writing. :-/ I'd realllly appreciate any suggestions you guys have.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 02:02 PM
    Read books (even children's and YA books), news magazines, magazines like the Atlantic Monthly/Utne/Writer/Reader's Digest--immerse yourself in words. Head to your college or public library, and check out some stuff.

Jun 14, 2013, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Read books (even children's and YA books), news magazines, magazines like the Atlantic Monthly/Utne/Writer/Reader's Digest--immerse yourself in words. Head to your college or public library, and check out some stuff.
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Wondergirl! :-) What do you think I should focus on when I read? (Or should I not be focusing on anything at all, and simply try to enjoy reading?)

Also, do you think reading a lot is more helpful than actually trying to write? I do read often enough, just not as much as I'd like, so I wonder if my issue is that I just don't write that often. What would I ever go about writing, if this is so? A blog, perhaps? This doesn't necessarily call for good writing, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it or not. What about writing for some school magazine? I'm already super busy, and some of these tend to be quite the time commitment, so I don't know if I'd be up for it or not.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow324 View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Wondergirl! :-) What do you think I should focus on when I read? (Or should I not be focusing on anything at all, and simply try to enjoy reading?)

Also, do you think reading a lot is more helpful than actually trying to write? I do read often enough, just not as much as I'd like, so I wonder if my issue is that I just don't write that often. What would I ever go about writing, if this is so? A blog, perhaps? This doesn't necessarily call for good writing, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it or not. What about writing for some school magazine? I'm already super busy, and some of these tend to be quite the time commitment, so idk if I'd be up for it or not.
    Just read -- even cereal boxes.

What are you doing that you are "super busy"?

Jun 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Just read -- even cereal boxes.

What are you doing that you are "super busy"?
    Well, what I meant was that during school time, I participate in quite a number of extracurriculars and take a fairly heavy course load. So writing for a magazine may or may not be feasible. But right now, I have about 2 weeks before I go off to an internship, so I could definitely use this time to read more (and I'll probably have some lag time after work as well, which I could use). :-)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
    Well, what I meant was that during school time, I participate in quite a number of extracurriculars and take a fairly heavy course load. So writing for a magazine may or may not be feasible. But right now, I have about 2 weeks before I go off to an internship, so I could definitely use this time to read more (and I'll probably have some lag time after work as well, which I could use). :-)
    Hang out at the public library for the next two weeks. If you want book titles, holler.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2013, 06:57 AM
    What helped me when I was in school where I had to write was actually writing. The more I wrote the better I became. I would first starting writing with my main ideas in mind and write my paper. Next I would read my paper out loud and if my sentences did not sound right I would change it. Also you need to think about your readers. I know the reader of my paper was my Professor, but I wrote as if the Professor was just an ordinary person with no knowledge of the subject matter of the assignment.

I would not use abbreviations without writing what the abbreviation stands for the first time. I would not use complicated words, or I would explain what the word meant.

If my sentences seemed too short or my paper was not long enough I would add to the sentence or add to the paper.

I also checked the flow of the paper. If the flow was not right I would change it. An example of this would be a timeline where you start with the beginning, the middle, and finish with the end.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 08:52 AM
    There are many books about passing your state's writing exam. It is meant to help K-12 students. I have to say that as a teacher, it is extremely helpful. Once you see the low scoring essays, you will start to see patterns. Improvement strategies are given in these types of books. Here is my favorite: Blowing Away the State Writing Assessment Test: Four Steps to Better Writing Scores for Students of All Levels with CDROM: Jane Bell Kiester: 9780929895932: Amazon.com: Books

You may be able to find this used or at a library, but even if you had to spend $20, I can guarantee it will help you where you are weak, which to me seems like it is from your middle school writing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 09:34 AM
    Learn how to outline your thoughts and research. If you have a good outline, your paper will write itself.

Jun 18, 2013, 04:13 AM
    Thanks everyone for the great responses! :-) I suppose the process itself is quite simple: read, write, and when you write, plan ahead of time.

For next semester, I have my eyes set on this elective that involves a decent amount of writing. I'm taking it because it seems like a fun class, but hopefully I can try to improve my writing skills then too. For now, I'm just reading away. :-D
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 05:09 AM
    Thanks everyone for the great responses!! :-) I suppose the process itself is quite simple: read, write, and when you write, plan ahead of time.

For next semester, I have my eyes set on this elective that involves a decent amount of writing. I'm taking it because it seems like a fun class, but hopefully I can try to improve my writing skills then too. For now, I'm just reading away. :-D
    Excellent. Let us know how you do :).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How's My Writing? [ 4 Answers ]

13 Can I go back to a purer time When everything was simple Before my mind was so corrupt, Can I go back to a purer time When everything was simple Before my mind was so corrupt, Before all of my thoughts were consumed, Before I looked in the mirror and cried

I just want to know p are in writing minutes and what really writing [ 3 Answers ]

I just want to know the procedures in writing minutes and what really entails in writing minutes.

No Writing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, can someone please tell me how come when I am on website pages, the writing does not appear, I have to highlight the writing to be able to read it, and then when I click somewhere it disappears again. Please help me :confused:

View more questions Search