Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JR_Cosgrove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 06:54 AM
    New roof- nails are a hazard
    We have a walk in attic. A new roof was just put on and the old roof (3 layers) was ripped off, new plywood put down, roofing paper and then shingles. The problem is that the roofing nails came through and protrude as much as 3-4 inches into the ceiling of the attic which slopes down from a ridge. They are very dangerous.

Is this the normal way to install a new roof? If so how can the danger be averted? The roofer suggested insulation and wall board over the rafters to hide and prevent exposure to the nails. Is this the best solution?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 07:06 AM
    Roofing nails are not 3 or 4 inches long to start with and would never come out that far into attic.

Roofing nails do come though, into attic, that is normal
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2013, 07:18 AM
    Agreed, roofing nails do come through the roof. But the nails should not protrude below the rafters. If you want to use the space, put up sheetrock on the rafters.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 14, 2013, 09:50 AM
    A lot depends on the climate where you live.
    Don't insulate and wall in an attic until you research how to do it properly, with the proper ventilation. You can have a rotten roof, popping nails, dripping condensation, and brittle wiring in 5 years if you don't.
    Ridge or gable or hipped side above ceiling vents.
    Venting channels between rafters.
    No blocking of soffits.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2013, 07:11 AM
    The roofer used a framing gun instead of a roofing gun when installing the shingles. This is not a problem as far as holding goes.

As joypulv said check on ways to correctly finish and insulate.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

50% damage to your roof > Is insurance required to pay for a roof? [ 2 Answers ]

The insurance company told me I have 50% damage. I have heard 50% damage = a new roof

My roof has a layer of ice building on the inside of the roof,I'm wondering why? [ 3 Answers ]

Weeks.would love to here if this has happin to anyone.. I am new to this fourm...

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

View more questions Search