Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2013, 04:15 PM
    Component Cables...
    In the process of hooking up a Flat Screen TV... Of course the reality is some components are outdated but still usable... I'm looking for Component Cables... I'm told I need , Blue, Green , Red , White & Yellow... The Source only Sells a Blue, Green, Red combination... Any Ideas?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2013, 05:15 PM
    For "Component", use Red, Blue and Green for the Video and Red and white for the Audio. Red is used for Video and Audio, keep them straight.

For "Composite" Use Yellow for Video and Red and White for Audio.

On your TV, Select The Correct Video Input/Source. (Composite 1, Component 2, HDMI, etc)

HDMI is Better Quality if you Have an HDMI Out on 1 and an HDMI Input on the other.

Jun 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    For "Component", use Red, Blue and Green for the Video and Red and white for the Audio. Red is used for Video and Audio, keep them straight.

For "Composite" Use Yellow for Video and Red and White for Audio.

On your TV, Select The Correct Video Input/Source. (Composite 1, Component 2, HDMI, etc)

HDMI is Better Quality if you Have an HDMI Out on 1 and an HDMI Input on the other.

Here's The Thing, I was led to believe the Component Cables would resemble somewhat of a Harness if You Will.. Red, Green, Blue, Yellow & White.. Seems they don't come in that configuration anymore?? My Son says it may be cheaper just to get a Blue Ray DVD player and hook that up with the Amp and the new Flat Screen TV..?
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2013, 04:30 AM
    I don't think they ever came like that, You wouldn't have a red, blue, green, AND yellow.
    Use 1 or the other.
    Don't try to make something up. Forget what you are thinking or have been Told. Please Reread My First Post.
    Use 1 Video Type or the other, NOT both?
    Reread slow, it is exact.
    How about telling what you have for outputs on the DVD and what type inputs on the TV.
    HDMI first, if not, then Component, If No component, use Composite?

Jun 15, 2013, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I don't think they ever came like that, You wouldn't have a red, blue, green, AND yellow.
    Use 1 or the other.
    Don't try to make something up. Forget what you are thinking or have been Told. Please Reread My First Post.
    Use 1 Video Type or the other, NOT both?
    Reread slow, it is exact.
    How about telling what you have for outputs on the DVD and what type inputs on the TV.
    HDMI first, if not, then Component, If No component, use Composite?

Ok, We replaced the RCA Projection style TV with a 50" Panasonic Flat Screen.. Keeping the original Amp and so on.. We live in a Rural Setting and subscribe to Bell Xpressview... Can you believe it Bell does not have the Where with all to provide HDMI , but Shaw can... Anyway it's the economics of a package deal for Phone, Internet & TV... I went to the local Source ( Radio Shack ) outlet and all that was available was a 3 pack ( Blue,Green,Red ) $29.99 the Yellow & White was $16.99... Came home and I'm told the 3 wire pack will do..? By the way when I was talking with the Sales Clerk at the Source.. she mentioned having the 5 colored wire pack for her own units...
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2013, 07:26 AM
    Yellow and White will work for Audio, Red and White for Audio is what is commonly used.
    That 5 wire cable she is speaking of more than likely has red for audio, not Yellow?
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2013, 07:30 AM
    Check these out:

Amazon.com: component to hdmi converter

Amazon.com: component video audio

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Runout of component? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the runout?

Component of trusses [ 0 Answers ]

Component and their technical aspect

The cables of my ac are torn by my dog how can I change the cables? [ 2 Answers ]

The cables of my ac are torn by my dog how can I change does electrical cables?

What component is it [ 2 Answers ]

What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one that involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugar?:D

HDMI vs Component [ 7 Answers ]

I just got my first HDTV. It's a small 19" for my office area. I upgrade to an HD cable box and connected it using an HDMI cable. The picture on the HD channels is visibly, but not significantly better than the non HD equivalent. Should I try hooking up component and see if that's better?

View more questions Search