Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennchip Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 08:24 PM
    Strong urine smell (new house)
    I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be true? :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 1, 2005, 07:34 AM
    Strong urine smell (new house)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennchip
    I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be true? :confused:
    Hi Jenn,
    Define "lift station". Are you saying this is a basement bathroom with a holding tank and a sewerage pump lifting it up to the main or are you saying the utilities company has a holding tank with a pumping station, that lifts and pumps it into the treatment plant, that is situated next to the bathroom? It sounds like the latter but the term "lift station" covers many meanings. I'll wait on your reply. Tom

Feb 1, 2005, 07:19 PM
    Thank you for pointing that out. What I mean by "lift station," is that the city utilities pumps our waste to a treatment plant.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2005, 08:25 PM
    Tom may need more details. Your sewage flows out to a pump buried outside the house and is pumped to the city sewers?

Feb 1, 2005, 09:43 PM
    I am sorry. Yes. We have a pump located/buried outside of our house. From there, our sewage is pumped to the city waste. I do not know a lot about this device, but I know our builder called it a "lift station" and that our property was located too low for a septic tank (florida residence). This is why we have a lift station. I hope this makes better sense.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 2, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
    Quote Originally Posted by jennchip
    I am sorry. Yes. We have a pump located/buried outside of our house. From there, our sewage is pumped to the city waste. I do not know a lot about this device, but I know our builder called it a "lift station" and that our property was located too low for a septic tank (florida residence). This is why we have a lift station. I hope this makes better sense.
    I sure do understand Jenn, I live in Sarasota and our lift station's 8 houses away. Have you contacted your utilities company and complained? If so, what was their response? Lift stations are vented. It's quite possible that when the wind is right that the odor blows back at your house. See if the utilities will come out and check your complaint. Then get back to me, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychological conflict: strong fear & strong love toward the same girl [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been experiencing some kind of psychological conflict for more than 1 year. Whenever he increases his love to me, his fear of losing me to another man increases. Last year, his psychological conflict made him misunderstand me a lot. For example, when he saw a tiny sign related...

How to get sewer smell out of my house? [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell coming from the basement for 10 days because the trap in the drain in our 'rough in' bathroom dried up, now that it is fixed, how can we get the smell out of the walls and carpet and sofa? HELP!! Thanks for any advice:confused:

Sewer Smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting what appears to be a sewer smell in my house that seems to be coming up from the basement. I have filled all the traps and the smell continues, from where I cannot tell. Over the past few years I have had a different problem as well. Roots have apparently worked their way into the...

Urine smell in downstairs bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

WE have a bathroom downstairs that has a strong urine smell coming from the shower , either under the shower or in the drain. What can I do about this to figure out why this is happening? Val

Septic smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Every winter I get a sewage smell throughout my house. I have a basement with a crawl space at the end and from within this crawl space is where the smell originates. My furnace is about 10 feet from this 3 foot square hole which goes to the crawl space and you can feel and smell the odor coming...

View more questions Search