Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gac1420 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Severance pay
    Pennsylvania labor law question: salaried employee.
    My job/position was eliminated after 40 years of service on 10 June 2013 without prior warning.
    I was offered a severence payment of approximately 1/3 my set salary.
    Are there any laws requiring a predesignated severance pay %?
    I was told by another person this happened toto them but I did not find it in writing any place.
    If I am legally entitled to a better settlement I would like to know before I sign any
    Agreement.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2013, 07:12 AM
    Hello g:

Absent an employment or labor contract, you're not entitled to anything - EVEN the severance they're offering.

40 years, and a pink slip?? Boy, do THEY suck??

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2013, 09:55 AM
    First, it is not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. To avoid confusion I've moved your post to its own thread.

You are not legally entitled to ANY severance unless its part of a union or employment contract or a published company standard. There are rules about the amount of notice that has to be provided when there are large scale layoffs. And if they eliminated your position as part of such a layoff, they may be obligated to pay you for up to 90 days.

The general practice for severance is 2 weeks pay for every year of employment. Under those guidelines you would be entitled to 80 weeks of pay. On the other hand, after 40 years, you should be eligible for retirement. Another standard practice in a situation like yours is to allow you to retire at full pension even though you may be younger than retirement age.

But these are general practices. They are not encoded into law. If you don't accept the settlement, you could get nothing. You can try to negotiate, but you have no leverage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hours cut at work can I get severance pay [ 5 Answers ]

I have worked at my restaurant for 7 years I called in sick hungover and couldn't work I got my Friday night shift cut now I work 2 days a week can I resign and still get severnce pay for the years I put in to the restaurant?

501c3 church severance pay [ 2 Answers ]

We are a 501c3 church. Is it legal to pay severance pay to pastors who are leaving employment of the church? What are the common practices for other churches regarding paying outgoing pastors severance pay?

Severance Pay, ERISA [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Executive with 3 years at a firm. I was summarily terminated. No notice, no reason. No fraud, no embezzlement, not anything along those lines. I got caught up in some political matters. I am 60 years old. My contract calls for a one year salary severance package paid in bi-weekly...

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

I received 3 weeks severance pay from my company that I was laid off last July. The company sent my W-2, but I didn't receive a severance form from them. Neither did the others I asked that were also laid off. So? Does that mean then I shouldn't worry about it?

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

My former employer has defaulted on our signed severance agreement by having insufficient funds for my severance check to clear. In other words, my severance check bounced. I have notified the District Attorney's office and the Department of Labor. Can I file a summons and complaint and have him...

View more questions Search