Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChopperRN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Federal Employment
    I live in Hawaii and am getting a job with the Federal Government with the Department of Defense-Department of Army. I was told by the person in the personnel office that I would not be paid for one month following my start date. Pay days are every 2 weeks. I am told that when I start on April 1, the beginning of the pay period, I would not be paid until the 2nd payday of the month as they "hold the first paycheck." Is this legal? To whom would I address this issue to?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Let me get this straight: You are going to work for the Fed, DOD, DOA, and you are asking if their pay schedule is legal? You're kidding, right?
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2007, 11:46 PM
    It often takes several weeks for your payroll information to be input into the computer, then for it to take affect. Add this to a 2 week pay period, and yes, it is quite normal, especially when working for the government or a major corporation to have to wait that long. Most employers will give you a salary advance if you request it, but if you can do without it, it would be a lot better to do so.

As for your complaining... I wouldn't think that's the way you want to start a new job! You can speak to your pay and benefits people regarding a salary advance.

Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 and self-employment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am on F-1 visa and want to sell jewelry made by me, just couple of samples. I found a site, some News letter for international student (//infohost.nmt.edu/~stuaffs/Intl/Newsletters/May2003.pdf), where they say self-employment is illegal for F-1. Though I remember I saw somewhere info that...

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

Termination of At Will Employment [ 1 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

Employment [ 1 Answers ]

How do organization ensure that they are hiring the best people and putting them into the right position?

Employment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Will I Find Employment Soon? My Birthday Is 4/28/49. Thank You, Sharon

View more questions Search