Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Jun 10, 2013, 06:19 PM
    Thinset under backerboard
    Hello all, its been a while.

I am going to be laying tile down in my kitchen and dining area soon, I plan to use a rapid set thinset because I need to get the area back in commission relativity quickly. My question is this, I have read that you don't have to wait for the thinset to dry under the backerboard before you lay tile down. So what if in order to save a mass amount of money, I used an unmodified thinset underneath the backer and then the rapid set only on top of the backer but underneath the tile. Yes I do have experience with rapid set mortar, I have used it before.

Has anyone ever done this.

Also,I have read that some will start with a regular modified thinset and then switch to a rapid set for certain areas. I was considering using the rapid set in only the high traffic areas (because of its difficulty to work with in large quantities) and in the time critical areas, under neath the fridge and stove, and table area. Is this an advisable method, if I were to mark the areas clearly for others?

Sorry for the novel, thanks in advance!

Jun 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
    No one?
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jun 13, 2013, 09:33 PM
    I would only use rapid setting thinset for a small repair or small area to complete in one day instead of two.

You can use a cheap unmodified under your CBU. How big an area is this and how many days do you think it'll take to finish the job?

Jaz

Jun 14, 2013, 04:20 AM
    I never said it was going to take me two days, its only 159sqft, I can definitely get the tiles laid in less than a day... I could realistically get this whole job laid and grouted within the day

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best tile backerboard [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... I wanted to see what people thought was the best tile backerboard. I'm planning to retile my shower and was looking into Fiberock, but have seen mixed reviews. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Using peel and stick vinyl over backerboard [ 2 Answers ]

I had a small water leak in tbe bathrom that wet the plywood a little and made it swell a little. I am going to put backerboard down over the old floor and am wondering if peel and stick vinyl squares will stick to backerboard? Also, will it be OK to put the backerboard over the old plywood...

Backerboard to drywall [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best method to attach 1/2" backerboard to 1/2" drywall for shower tile application? I know this is not recommended but dimensions have left me no choice.

Tub backerboard installation [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a new bathroom with a tub. I plan to cement backerboard, but have a question concerning it's installation. The tub I purchased has a 1" lip around the three wall sides. When installing the backerboard do I overlap that lip or just set the backerboard on the top edge and fill in the...

View more questions Search