Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naugtyiv8ry Posts: 6, Reputation: -1
    -

Jun 10, 2013, 05:30 AM
    Should I go back to work even if I get over stressed? If so, with which company?
    So I have been working the call center industry since 2007 (a little over 5 years now). I was promoted to a Supervisor / Team Leader role back in 2009 (been a Team Lead for over 3 years).

I have low EQ (emotional intelligence) and I find myself usually getting too anxious, worked up and over stressed when dealing with the high pressures of meeting sales targets, managing agents, etc.

Last December 2012, my husband and I decided that I should resign and just be a stay at home wife. Recent circumstances have led me to apply back at several call center Team Leader openings.

Currently, I have been accepted by 3 different companies and have been pushing back on signing the contracts (and the actual hire / start date) since I am VERY hesitant to go back to work. I am so scared of going back and facing the same problems that had caused me several anxiety attacks and depression hits back when I was still working. I am forcing myself to work again since I really want to help rake in more money for me and my husband and our future kids / house, etc. What should I do?

I know that that is the reason why THEY PAY YOU TO WORK, because for sure you WILL get stressed, etc. But if I do go back to work, how can I cope with the stress and improve my EQ? And should I go back even if I really do not want to? I'm afraid I'll just end up right back where I started - STRESSED, ANXIOUS and BORDERLINE DEPRESSED. Right now, since I am just at home, I am happy and stress free.

Should I go back to work even if I get over stressed? And if I do go back to work, can someone help me decide which company I should choose? Here they are:

*Company A:
    - 1 HOUR AWAY
    - offered me a LOW salary
    - I have to spend about 10K / month on toll fees and gas
    - Company Size: pretty BIG and well known, has POOR facilities
    - based on feedback has LOW employee satisfaction

*Company B:
    - 30 MINUTES AWAY
    - offered me a HIGH salary
    - I have to spend about 5K / month just on toll fees and gas
    - Company SIZE: VERY SMALL and unknown, I'm afraid company may go bankrupt and close anytime, but has GREAT facilities and location
    - based on feedback has HIGH employee satisfaction

*Company C:
    - 1 HOUR AWAY
    - offered me a HIGH salary
    - I have to spend about 10K / month just on toll fees and gas
    - Company Size: medium sized and pretty well known, has GOOD facilities and an "okay" location
    - based on feedback has HIGH employee satisfaction

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm starting to panic already since the "hire dates" are getting so close.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 05:49 AM
    Hello n:
    Should I go back to work even if I get over stressed? I'm starting to panic already since the "hire dates" are getting so close.
    Yeah... Your stress is jumping off the page at me..

How about going back to work and NOT get stressed? That IS possible. I noticed that you think EVERYBODY deals with work the same way you do - STRESS.. That's not so. Some people thrive at work. I'd lean HOW they do it. Now, you may not learn to embrace it that much, but you certainly need to learn to COPE with it.

I don't know WHERE you should go to learn that stuff, but I would find out and GO.

I wonder what would happen to you if you listed the jobs NOT by the criteria you did, BUT by the company you'd LIKE to work for. That'll be a good start.

Excon
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 06:45 AM
    10K per month is about $500.00 per day On Gas and Tolls, Either a Long Drive, or some very Expensive Tolls?
    Would be Nice to find a Job You Enjoy, problem is they usually don't pay very much, but may be able to keep your Sanity.
    I couldn't do that job.
    I wish you all the Luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 09:01 AM
    To a great extent the decision depends on why you are going back to work.

If it's for the money, do the math (including the cost of the commute in both wear and tear and gas) and make your decision.

I do not enjoy driving so an hour in each direction would make me very unhappy.

You also have to look at what you drive, the cost of gas and insurance, repairs, all those other factors.

And if stress is the issue, which is the least stressful?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 10, 2013, 09:01 AM
    I have never heard of 'low EQ.' Is that a company term?
    To me Company B is obvious. A small company can also grow and put you in line for an even higher position. And if they go bankrupt, so what? You are back to where you are now.

I too can't believe any commute could cost 10K/mo unless you have to pay for a parking spot in a city garage. Even then, hard to believe.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 09:02 AM
    Apparently these aren't good answers - I answered on the other thread, same question.
    -

Jun 10, 2013, 09:05 AM
    Just to clarify, the 5-10K / month is in Philippine Peso, and not in US DOLLAR. Besides, I hardly think that's what everyone should be worrying about?... Useful and elaborate answers would really be appreciated as I mentioned...
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by naugtyiv8ry View Post
    Just to clarify, the 5-10K / month is in Philippine Peso, and not in US DOLLAR. Besides, I hardly think that's what everyone should be worrying about?... Useful and elaborate answers would really be appreciated as I mentioned...
    Why should nobody worry about that? You posted it as part of the information in picking a place to work... if you included it, obviously it does matter.

Useful and elaborate... hmmmm... you get what you get. If YOU can't decide, then how are we really supposed to give you useful and elaborate answers? All we know is what you've told us. We don't know you, the pay rates, the companies, the stress issues you face and why... so how useful and elaborate can we be?

How's this... Pick B... it's got nice landscaping... I think.
    -

Jun 10, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Why should nobody worry about that? You posted it as part of the information in picking a place to work...if you included it, obviously it does matter.

Useful and elaborate....hmmmm....you get what you get. If YOU can't decide, then how are we really supposed to give you useful and elaborate answers? All we know is what you've told us. We don't know you, the pay rates, the companies, the stress issues you face and why....so how useful and elaborate can we be?

How's this....Pick B....it's got nice landscaping...I think.
    Well obviously, since I put down:

"10K / month" and "5k / month" respectively, is it not logical enough to assume that one costs more that the other? Seriously, how much does it affect the supposedly helpful advice some of you are ideally supposed to be giving me?

Obviously, that IS EXACTLY why I am on this site, to seek advice and get help, and DUH, it is because I do not know what to do. If I did know what to do, would I even be on here wasting my time? What do you think?

I'm sorry but people on this site are just TOO hostile! Goodness, I thought this was supposed to be a "helpful" community. I have only been here for less than a day and already I hate the "advice". Tsk.

Is there anybody who can actually HELP instead of criticize?!
    current pert

Jun 10, 2013, 09:21 AM
    1. You introduced the cost of commuting into the equation. Of course it matters.
    2. I looked up EQ and from what I read, I assume that you gave yourself this label of low. I was not impressed with the term being given to someone who keeps getting promoted.

Speaking of people who don't impress me: you omit basic information and then expect 'elaborate and sound answers.' You are stressing over something that requires ELABORATE discussion with your family and those close to you, who know you.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by naugtyiv8ry View Post
    Well obviously, since I put down:

"10K / month" and "5k / month" respectively, is it not logical enough to assume that one costs more that the other? Seriously, how much does it affect the supposedly helpful advice some of you are ideally supposed to be giving me?

Obviously, that IS EXACTLY why I am on this site, to seek advice and get help, and DUH, it is because I do not know what to do. If I did know what to do, would I even be on here wasting my time? What do you think?

I'm sorry but people on this site are just TOO hostile! Goodness, I thought this was supposed to be a "helpful" community. I have only been here for less than a day and already I hate the "advice". Tsk.

Is there anybody who can actually HELP instead of criticize????!!!!!

Wow, you mad bro?

Seriously... look how stressed out you are here... no wonder picking a job is so stressful for you.

Again I ask... how elaborate and helpful are we supposed to be when we don't know you... the companies... the pay rates... the stress levels... we know nothing about what you're asking... but hey, if it makes you feel better to tell us how little we helped you, have at it. And to top it off, the only HOSTILE answers I have seen here so far were yours.

So pick B... I hear it's nice there this time of year.
    -

Jun 10, 2013, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    1. You introduced the cost of commuting into the equation. Of course it matters.
    2. I looked up EQ and from what I read, I assume that you gave yourself this label of low. I was not impressed with the term being given to someone who keeps getting promoted.

Speaking of people who don't impress me: you omit basic information and then expect 'elaborate and sound answers.' You are stressing over something that requires ELABORATE discussion with your family and those close to you, who know you.
    That's exactly it, I've consulted with my husband, and he is leaving the choice up to me. I've also tried talking to my mom about it but again, she had no advice to give.

That is why I am having trouble deciding. Again, if I could decide, I'd be sooo happy and not even be on here asking people that I don't know for help - But I am obviously looking for an outsider's perspective.

And no, I do no think the cost of the commute (whether it be 2K / month, 100k / month) would really be something everyone should be focusing on. I am in serious panic mode here folks and again, while I appreciate everyone's 2 cents, I'd like to get straight up answers to my actual questions instead of getting a lecture on how I should have asked the questions. I do not appreciate getting insulted either and am pretty sure it is against this website's policies, eh?

Just to reiterate, here are my questions:

- Should I go back to working inspite my "low EQ"?
    - If yes, which company do you all think I should go for?

Again, any real advice would help, something that I could actually use. Hopefully people can refrain from being too judgmental, seriously. Sheesh!
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
    Do your prospective employers a favor - stay home.

I have no idea how suggesting that you consider travel time and auto expenses when making your decision, including post my own experience, is hostile. If you are not working for the money, why not volunteer somewhere? You'll get out of the house and (hopefully) contribute to society. If this is your decision, I would suggest medication of some sort. I ran a not-for-profit for 12 years. We needed sincere volunteers, not people with problems to further upset other people with problems.

So if money isn't an issue and you're working for fun, pick the company with the most "fun" events and benefits.

I suspect you are a stress "carrier" - just reading your emotional, over the top responses is causing me stress.

Yes, by all means, stay home.

So, to be very specific:

"- Should I go back to working inspite my "low EQ"?: ANSWER: Sheesh, no.

- If yes, which company do you all think I should go for? ANSWER: See answer above.

Again, any real advice would help, something that I could actually use. Hopefully people can refrain from being too judgmental, seriously. Sheesh! ANSWER: You got real answers from real people. You didn't like the answers, but that's what you got.

Your own family doesn't want to get involved in your decision making (and I pretty much know why) and you expect strangers to decide for you? And then you don't like what they say?

I find the comment about being judgmental being against AMHD rules to be amusing when coming from a person who understands the rules not at all and chooses to start arguments and post the same question twice.

Sheesh!

And why my colleagues couldn't figure out you were in the Philippines, I have no idea. It's not like this is an International site or anything. I agree - what's wrong with them?
    current pert

Jun 10, 2013, 09:35 AM
    I change my mind. You are clearly too stressed to work. It might be too hard on the lowly staffers too.
    -

Jun 10, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Do your prospective employers a favor - stay home.

I have no idea how suggesting that you consider travel time and auto expenses when making your decision, including post my own experience, is hostile. If you are not working for the money, why not volunteer somewhere? You'll get out of the house and (hopefully) contibute to society. If this is your decision, I would suggest medication of some sort. I ran a not-for-profit for 12 years. We needed sincere volunteers, not people with problems to further upset other people with problems.

So if money isn't an issue and you're working for fun, pick the company with the most "fun" events and benefits.

I suspect you are a stress "carrier" - just reading your emotional, over the top responses is causing me stress.

Yes, by all means, stay home.

So, to be very specific:

"- Should I go back to working inspite my "low EQ"?: ANSWER: Sheesh, no.

- If yes, which company do you all think I should go for? ANSWER: See answer above.

Again, any real advice would help, something that I could actually use. Hopefully people can refrain from being too judgmental, seriously. Sheesh! ANSWER: You got real answers from real people. You didn't like the answers, but that's what you got.

Your own family doesn't want to get involved in your decision making (and I pretty much know why) and you expect strangers to decide for you? And then you don't like what they say?

I find the comment about being judgmental being against AMHD rules to be amusing when coming from a person who understands the rules not at all and chooses to start arguments and post the same question twice.

Sheesh!

And why my colleagues couldn't figure out you were in the Philipines, I have no idea. It's not like this is an International site or anything. I agree - what's wrong with them?
    Thanks. I've actually been thinking of doing something else less stressful (volunteer work) or a home / online business of some sort since (OBVIOUSLY) I get too worked up and stressed over small things. As mentioned, this is exactly why I am dreading the whole "employee - work" set up. I've been thinking about what to do instead and came across the following work from home scenarios:
    - Blogging
    - Online Business
    - Volunteer Work, etc

However, I don't know much about them since I have been in the call center industry for so long. Any suggestions around this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 09:49 AM
    Hello again, n:

Work of ANY kind involves stress. Fix the stress, and work ANYWHERE. Don't fix it, and you're done.

excon
    -

Jun 10, 2013, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, n:

Work of ANY kind involves stress. Fix the stress, and work ANYWHERE. Don't fix it, and you're done.

excon
    THANK YOU SO MUCH EXCON! You were the only one who helped. I'm getting out of this site now. It is not for me. Thanks again though. =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Walked of work stressed [ 5 Answers ]

I wrk in a busy café I have brought to my managers attention that we are under staffed and I was struggling to cope with demands! A few months passed and nothing changed so I walked off my shift and went to my doctor who gave me a sick note for stress! My job wants me to report for disciplinary...

How to get back my stressed boyfriend? [ 9 Answers ]

I've been with this boyfriend roughly 1 month,and he told me he's having some financial problem lately and so we canceled a lot of dates,I even paid on mostly dates,and he even borrow money from me.and recently he's really broke and he's stressed with no money nor job,and he's started to argue over...

I live and work in Georgia but the company I work for is in Florida what about file s [ 2 Answers ]

I live and work in Georgia but the company I work for and get paid by is in Florida how do I file for state tax

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

View more questions Search