Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krissy13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Would you buy a house where after the back yard fence, there is a cemetery?
    We are really in a pickle. My husband and I really loved the house we just saw. The yard is spacious which is great because I plan on putting in a pool. However, when I was in the kitchen I saw through the window that behind the gate there is a cemetery. We just saw a bunch of white headstones. Its quite large but it does sit behind the fence. Our realtor told me we needed to decide if that bothered us. Please help us to figure out if we should buy this. The price is great for us, the taxes great everything is great. I have to admit that I am spooked out and I don't know how I would feel at night time alone at home. Don't laugh but it really is a dilema. Am I being foolish? And what about resale later, would you care?? Please advise. Signed lost couple
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 9, 2013, 11:27 PM
    Wouldn't bother me at all.

Down the road it may affect resale as some people, like yourself, are squeamish about such things.

Plant some trees in the yard and cover the view.

Jun 9, 2013, 11:34 PM
    Thank you odinn7. But I wonder about bad energy. Thanks for your response.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 06:48 AM
    I would buy it. I have found that a person's thoughts and their own perceptions are more negative than the energy in a cemetery.

Imagination can also play a big part in how people view the energy. Ghost stories and horror movies are great as long as the person doesn't start to see a 'ghost' behind very pane of glass or expect the dead to rise at midnight every night.

If you are unsure, perhaps visit the cemetery and see how you feel. Maybe ask if you can spend a night in the house.

If you do buy the house, remember that the sounds you hear and sights you see are probably more 'natural' than 'supernatural'. Houses expand and settle causing odd noises. Trees drop leaves, nuts, twigs, etc. Squirrels love running across roofs. Lights reflect off nearly any smooth surface. Shadows can make a chair look like a goblin.

It sounds like a great house. Personally, I would be more concerned about the living neighbors. What are they like?

How great the deal you are getting is probably a good indication of what the resale value might be. Though these days if you market it as 'haunted', it might be worth more.

Good luck making your decision.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 06:57 AM
    I would recommend a pass on this one. The only reason Im saying it is because you already have a preconcieved notion as to something going on. After you buy then its too late to do anything about it. So why start uncomfortable if that is where your at.
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Jun 10, 2013, 07:03 AM
    I would never buy that one and suggest you not to buy. Each place has it's own energy, good or bad, doesn't matter. But the kind of feeling you get from such place is not good for family.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jun 10, 2013, 02:54 PM
    I disagree with smkanand. In MOST cases the only energy that is there is what YOU put there. Sounds like you're spooked by cemeteries, so as cdad suggested, you might simply want to pass on that one. Personally I would have no problem living next to a cemetery... and if the price was right I'd even by a home rumored to be haunted.

I think it's a shame that you would have to pass on a home you love for this reason.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 03:03 PM
    I wouldn't pass on it. I would love to see the history in that cemetery!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
    I don't understand why people associate 'bad' things, energy, spirits, whatever with cemeteries. Or death, for that matter. What's wrong with death? With a beautiful green grassy area covered with monuments and hopefully some trees? There are some famous cemeteries that were designed with rare plantings and ponds and trails and hills and meadows, and some were even 100 years ago or more. People go to have lunch on the grass and admire the flowers.
    You won't have a big house blocking your view, or people looking in your windows, or making noise, or putting on an addition for months. When you die, do you want people to be spooked by the thought of your tomb?
    Other cultures are closer to death than we Americans nowadays. We whisk bodies away to be handled by hospitals and undertakers and make them all antiseptic in a lead lined coffin, instead of returning them to the dust whence we came. Ugh.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jun 10, 2013, 04:19 PM
    I agree... I find most cemeteries calming and peaceful.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 10, 2013, 05:54 PM
    I tend to aqree with cdad. While I don't agree that there should be any negative energy, you may not get over that feeling and it may always haunt you.

I will add that the probably reason for the good price is the location and it may affect your resale value.

Jun 10, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. We have decided to pass on this house. We're not ignorant and do not think that cemetery's are bad. We know that is where people are resting. But why should we put ourselves in a situation that is uncomfortable. I do believe cemetery's have bad and good energy. Bottom line I can't see myself going out there at night and swimming in my pool knowing there are corpses rotting just feet away from me. Its me sick to my stomach and a feeling of doom. Thanks again
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Jun 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
    Good decision. Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it illegal to buy to buy a house from a friend then sell it back to her? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a friend that live in California that wants me to purchase her home and sell it back to her. She said a broker said she would save money. The purchase would be cash both ways. Also would I have problems with IRS she is giving me funds. Would they expect me to pay cash on it next year? ...

How to buy house that have back taxes in IL [ 4 Answers ]

I rent a house in IL and the ower hasn't paid the propirty taxes on it for 2 years. I love my house and have asked to buy it from them, but they won't sell. So how do I go behind there back and buy the house. There not keeping it up anyway and there is no mortgage on it. :confused:

How do I just buy a house paying back taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I just buy a house paying back taxes? What do I do to buy a house for just the back taxes?

How to buy a house on back taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to put a tax lien on a house the house has been empty for about 3 years and they owe 3 years back taxes and I was wanting to pay the back taxes.

View more questions Search