Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIYAPPRENTICE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Water Filter cartridge change
    I have an American Plumbing Whole House Filter modelW10-PR. I have routinely changed the cartridge every 3 months for 4 years now. Yesterday I went down to do so and find that I cannot open the filter. Matter of fact I broke the wrench in attempting to do so. The water is off, the pressure has been relieved but I cannot manage to turn the filter housing to replace the cartridge.

Are there any "tricks of the trade" that may help me here?

Thanks for any assistance!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Mine always yields to my 16'' Channellocks. My well water has some nasty hydrocarbons that swell the gasket sometimes locking it on. I use activated charcoal filter elements that do a good job taking the hydrocarbons out. I also have steel brackets holding the head in place.

I wouldn't mind seeing a better idea. Always looking for a better way.

Mine is a Dew Clear brand.
    DIYAPPRENTICE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Thanks Labman. I didn't have the channel locks, but a 10" C clamp worked just as well. I just needed that extra leverage that a plastic wrench wasn't giving me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Filter [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, After replacing my less than four year old water heater due to build up of crud I was wondering if there is a filter I can put on after the HWH to catch any crud that may slip through. My wife was complaining about pieces of rock in the water when she was taking a hot bath so I...

Honeywell RTH230B filter change [ 2 Answers ]

Our unit had the Filter light on yesterday and it was blowing very cool, so we changed the filter today and reset the counter, but it is not cooling the house now. We only changed the filter about 2 weeks ago and have been changing it every 3-4 weeks since we got the new thermostat a couple of...

Honeywell RTH230B thermostat- filter change? [ 1 Answers ]

Honeywell RTH230B thermostat- filter change? The instructions are in spanish -which I don't read/speak- how do I set the program function so it reminds me when its time to change it out? (does it give a visual Que or audible alert?)

No Hot Water Pressure in Bathroom Cartridge Faucet [ 7 Answers ]

I have no hot water pressure in one of my sinks in the Master bath. All other faucets in the bathroom are fine and cold water comes out of the problematic faucet with ease. I have reviewed some of the similar posts and opened up my single handle faucet to clean the cartridge. The cartridge was...

View more questions Search