Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cardomb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Outside flood light wiring
    I would like to add outside flood lights to my metal workshop building. Since all the wiring will come from the interior of the building, do I need to use special water tight wiring to install the flood lights on the outside of the building or can I use the flex cable I have been using to wire the inside of the workshop? Can I also place an outside electrical box on the side of the building using the flex? For both the electrical outlet box and flood lights I would be drilling a hole from the inside of the building to a wet weather box which would be flush mounted on the building. Thanks for all your assistance.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I would check your local electrical codes for guidance first. You can buy water-resistant electrical things. But, if the place might be sold eventually, things not being up to code may hinder the expedition of a sale.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 04:33 AM
    Any raceway or wiring method installed outdoors must be rated for wet locations. This can be PVC Sch 40 with gasketed boxes and fittings, EMT with raintite compression fittings, or even as simple as UF cable, with weatherproof boxes and raintite connectors.

The flex cable you have inside actually may be rated to be installed outdoors, although ONLY if the cable is MC and conductors have THWN insulation.

If all you are doing is rilling the hole for a interior cable to pass through and connect directly to the box mounted on the outside over the hole, then the interior cable is fine, just seal around the cable before mounting the box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light wiring? [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased two ceiling lights at Home Depot and when I got them home I noticed a warning on the box that said " use supply wire rated at 90 C, most homes built before 1985 use 60 C wire". My home was built in 1971. How do I tell if my wiring is okay. I checked the wire sheathing and the...

Hampton Bay outdoor flood light (motion/optical) [ 1 Answers ]

My HB flood lights stopped working recently, but if I turn the unit to "test", wave my hand in front of the sensor, the lights pop on. Turning it back to 1,5, or 10 minute timer delay does not work, even in the dark. Faulty opical sensor? Would that prevent the unit from operating in timer mode?

Wiring Fluorscent Light [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having difficulty wiring a fluorescent fixture to a wall plug. This has been an ongoing battle. I changed the ballast, reworked the clips, BOUGHT a new fixture, still the same... if I get the light to come on by fiddling with the rotation of the bulb, then it won't re-light when unplugged ...

Ceiling Light Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hey! I just moved into this 1 room apartment, and decided to put a ceiling light , a 2 bulb. Just to fill you in, before that, and (still) , I had accidentally found out that the switch on the wall , was connected to an outlet, so I just got a cheapo lamp and connected there so it could be...

Wiring help, one light on, the other gos off... [ 1 Answers ]

hi, OK here's what I have... I'm trying to replace a light, now the wires that are under the light are: 3 x red 3 x black 1 x earth

View more questions Search