Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkercoll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Can I feed a sick dog baby formula
    I have adog taking multiple medication and I can't get him to eat. Tried soft dog food, chicken breast, hamburgers, turkey meat. He won't open his mouth. Thought a child's medicine dropper full of baby formula would help. He won't gaintngth unless he can eat. He has severe formof demodex.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 8, 2013, 07:48 AM
    You couldn't use a human form of baby formula but you could try a formula for puppies found at your pet food store. It would be high protein but I guess getting anything into him would be a benefit. Is he drinking water ?

I know demodex and a dog can fight it with a good immune system and not have re-occurrences but there must be something else going on with our pet besides this. You say he is on multiple medications, but how old is he ?
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2013, 10:53 PM
    It is most important that the dog drinks, but you could try putting some tuna or baby food on his paw and he may lick it off. If his medication is making him feel sick he may require an antacid. If he is in pain they often won't eat. I believe your vet may have a vitamin based gel that you can put inside his lips and he will naturally lick at it to get it off. If he isn't eating or drinking he should see the vet again. Sometimes just putting them of fluids intravenously will perk them up enough to start eating again. If he has a severe demodex condition it might be a symptom of liver or kidney disorder. They would also upset this stomach. If you think this is the case then intravenous fluids and Gaviscon or a similar product may be just what he needs. Definitely speak to the vet for the best way to approach the situation. Best of luck to you! I hope this helps a bit!

Hugs, Didi
    Expert

Jun 9, 2013, 05:46 AM
    Demodex is a parasite, attaching to the hair follicles of dogs, breed specific and usually contracted from the mother. It can be cured, will not re-occur and is prolonged through a weak immune system. This normally has nothing to do with a liver or kidney disorder.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2013, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Demodex is a parasite, attaching to the hair follicles of dogs, breed specific and usually contracted from the mother. It can be cured, will not re-occur and is prolonged through a weak immune system. This normally has nothing to do with a liver or kidney disorder.
    Yes, I do know that. Having worked for 3 veterinarians as well as the Humane Society and being a foster parent to the more difficult to place dogs I also know that liver and kidney disorders can often be missed because the dog has the other issue. It's always worth having blood tests to rule it out - ESPECIALLY if the dog exhibits other symptoms such as not wanting to eat or drink.

I just think it's worth a thought if nothing else.
    Expert

Jun 9, 2013, 12:34 PM
    @grammadidi, yes totally agree. I wish the OP would check in. I would like to know what the 'multiple medications' are for.

I wish we could always get the complete information, then it would be easier to give an answer, although maybe not a diagnosis, which should be only done by a vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to feed a sick dog that will not eat? [ 2 Answers ]

2 weeks ago we discovered my my 11 year old yorkie has liver disease. The vet put her on 3 medienes one to protect the liver,one to get off the fluid and one to fight infections. We brought her home and she was still eating her science diet. 3 days later she stopped, we have tried milk thistle. ...

How to feed your sick dog [ 2 Answers ]

Well my dog Bear is not eating his food and I don't know why he is not eating.

What can I feed my dog when she is sick [ 3 Answers ]

My sick dog been to vets given him injection antibiotics would not eat or drink been like this since last wed given liquids through a srynge he's now starting to drink water himself what can I do to make him eat my dog is 16 months I feel very worried should I be or will he eat when he is...

How to feed a sick dog with no appetite? [ 10 Answers ]

My poor Rosie was just released from the hospital suffering from HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) that we all suspect was brought on by Rimadyl that was prescribed for her arthritis. It came on so suddenly that I had to rush her to the hospital. She's home now, weak, on medication and...

How to feed a sick but aggressive dog? [ 8 Answers ]

My little 8-month-old Miniature Pinscher mix was diagnosed with CPV-2b. I found out online that he can be cured but he must eat and get regular shots. The main problem my family is having now is feeding him. We cannot afford to leave him in the clinic with an IV. Every time we try to feed him,...

View more questions Search