Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skotra44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Dakota trouble
    Hello, I have a 2002 Dakota quad cab w/3.9l 4x4.For the past couple weeks I am having trouble with my headlights flashing, indicator lights on dash blinking saying gate open, cargo lamp on , brake warning light and the door ajar chime going off. All this with or with out the keys in the ignition, I end up disconnecting the battery from an hour to over night to stop this but then everything starts all over. Any suggestions as to what could cause this?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jun 7, 2013, 05:50 PM
    This is the symptom of a bad ECM. The ECM controls everything in the vehicle. It is having an intermittent problem. If you have the vehicle checked with a scan tool and it shows many error codes(more than 5 or 6, then the ECM will need to be replaced. There is one thing you can do. Find the ECM, usually in the engine compartment on trucks and make sure the connector of the harness is tight. If it appears to be loosen it, remove it then reinstall it. May help. May not.
    skotra44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2013, 02:53 PM
    Okay will try this vehicle also has a remote starter installed, someone suggested trying to disable it maybe a possibility?
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Jun 8, 2013, 06:20 PM
    ECM? I don't think so. Sounds just like a bad central timer module. That's Chrysler's name for a body control module. It controls all those systems you mentioned. And it has a high failure rate. Read this post on what it controls and how it works.

Body Control Module, Central Timer Module, Generic Electronic Module
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2013, 06:38 PM
    BCM failure.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jun 8, 2013, 10:26 PM
    I stand corrected

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 dakota [ 1 Answers ]

I was driving my dakota when the gas pedal gave out, my gas light was on. I added gas but it still wouldn't start. I have all my dash lights and power. Could it be the alternator or just a sensor?

Can a convitced felon from South Dakota still hunt waterfowl in South dakota. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a felon from South Dakota been hunting my whole life since I was 11 yrs old. I am now 26. I have 3 DUI and that's a felony in South Dakota. I want to know if I can still hunt waterfowl.

89 Dodge Dakota [ 5 Answers ]

3.9 89 Dodge Dakota usually starts well but may stall and be difficult to restart. Have replaced coil and spark plug wires also disconnected EGR valve. The problem is it dies while idling. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

89 dodge dakota [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have an 89 dodge dakota truck 4 cyl If I put the clutch in it starts up just find But if I release the clutch while in neutral The motor dies anyone no what this could be? :mad: The clutch does not need to be pressed down to try to start it does attempt to start weather I have if...

View more questions Search