Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Actual64 Posts: 19, Reputation: -2

Jun 6, 2013, 04:38 PM
    Nurses skills
    What do you guys think? If you are a nurse especially one in a doctors office do you think you lose your nursing skills when compared to a nurse in a hospital. Sort of like becoming a secretary?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 6, 2013, 05:16 PM
    I don't think nurses ever lose their skills in the field, in an office, in a hospital. In Canada we have Victoria Order of Nurses who work in the community, basically in the field and would not have a job if they lost their skills.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2013, 05:54 PM
    When I go to my doctors office the nurses are the ones that book my appointment, pull my file, call me into the room, pass me the cup for a urine sample. They are more secretaries than nurses, even though they have a nursing degree.

Do they lose their skills? Not sure. But I know that they don't really do what they were trained to do. At least not in my family doctors office.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 6, 2013, 08:53 PM
    In my location most hospitals employ RNs where as doctors offices employ LPNs.

As an RN myself, I feel that I would lose my skills by moving to an office. There are 2 different skill sets involved here. Office vs hospital. Most offices don't start IVs, just for one example. Hospital nurses are also trained to take care of the more critically ill than you will find in a doctor's office, so our critical thinking skills would not be utilized to the fullest in an office vs hospital.

And, lastly, the pay and benefits at a hospital are usually better than those provided by offices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need nurses advice! Please. [ 0 Answers ]

So I am a meth user and I have been for a while, I do not inject or snort I only smoke it. I've never had any issues but today I was driving with my friend and all the sudden the right side of my head above my ear started having this weird tingling sensation, and each time I breathed in it felt...

Felon nurses [ 1 Answers ]

Can a person become a licensed vocational nurse in California if she has felonies but has not been in trouble for 5 years?:)

Felony nurses [ 3 Answers ]

I want to be a nurse but I have yet to pursue my career because I have a felony record for possession of sales and firearm. Can I be a nurse in North CArolina?

J9, I need a nurses opinion! [ 10 Answers ]

I am in kind of a pickle. My regular doctor is out on vacation due to the holiday and I am having a problem. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my second child. I was fixing my hair this morning and started getting really dizzy and light headed. I felt like I was about to pass out so I sat down....

View more questions Search