Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjnowak Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2013, 07:27 PM
    Well water filters
    I have a shallow well pump at our cabin gets lots of sand and has iron taste, wondering if there is some sort of filter I can install inline on the 1 1/4 " pipe before the check valve and pump to save on the wear on them, can't seem to find anything I like on all the internet searches. Also, do they make some sort of stand or tripod type thing if I have to pull the well ( I'm sure the sand point is probably bad ) as the well is inside the cabin, I could attach the come-a-long and do it that way. All advice and opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

SN
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2013, 08:16 PM
    If it is indeed a shallow well pump, meaning 10 or 20 feet or so, then a come a long will certainly work. You can probably just do it by hand. Just be careful if you have to unscrew a pipe joint that you don't let the lower part slip back into the well.

I don't know of anything you can place before the pump, but checking the sandpoint is certainly a good idea. You might also want to check the screen on the footvalve.

Jun 6, 2013, 07:07 AM
    What's the foot valve ?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2013, 09:52 PM
    Device on the end of the wellpipe that prevents water from running out of the pipe when the pump shuts off. http://inspectapedia.com/water/Foot_Valves.htm

SJ, you might want to simply pick your wellpipe up a foot or two higher. That might solve the sand problem. The iron problem is going to be tougher. Need an iron filter for that.

Jun 10, 2013, 10:27 AM
    OK, thnaks for the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water in fuel light stays on after changing filters [ 1 Answers ]

I changed the fuel filters in my 2006 Ford 6.0 L diesel . Now the water in fuel indicator keeps coming how do I get this to clear?

Well water filters [ 4 Answers ]

Hi just wondering what people are using to filter there well water? I have some iron in the water but other than that not a huge issue. I have a water softner on it now that was doing a good job about getting the iron out but now its not. So just wondering what everbodys got

Whole house water filters and softeners [ 1 Answers ]

In my rural country home I do have a water softener of course for the hard well water. One thing that really frustrates me, as it is especially seen around the door to our stand up shower is the dried salt. I was wondering what I can do to at least lower the amount of salt in my water without it...

Do washing machines have water filters? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Maytag washing machine that has very low water pressure on it. I am wondering if there is a screen somewhere that I can check for any blockage. Thanks.

Whole house filters and water softeners [ 1 Answers ]

Since I'm replumbing the entire house I thought I would got for the whole nine yards, and install a Whole House Water Filter and a Water Softener. Any advide on this being a good idea? One of my neighbors said I shouldn't install the filter since the stuff I'm filtering out is needed inside the...

View more questions Search