Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NY_student Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 03:10 PM
    NY tax for students
    I'm a student in NY state and worked at an internship last summer in NY. Also during 2006, I worked in NJ, which is where my home is. Which tax forms do I file? I thought I would file IT-203 for NY, the nonresident return, but there is a statement that says "If you maintain living quarters in NY and were in NY for more than 184 days of 2006, you are considered a resident for tax purposes." As I am a student, I clearly spent more than half the year in NY. Furthermore, I live off-campus, so technically, I have 'maintained living quarters in NY' (I'm renting an apartment). This being the case, am I a resident or nonresident of NY? Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 09:29 PM
    By law, visiting college students are universally considered NON-RESIDENTS of states where they attend college if the state is NOT their home state. You are a non-resident under that provision.

That said, you DID earn money in NY state, so you have to file a NY state income tax return, as well as a NJ state income tax return.

The credit NJ allows for taxes paid in NY will completely offset any NJ tax owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Refund for International Students [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, A lot of my friends and myself are under the impression that international students on J1 / F1 get a full tax refund. I am not sure if this is completely true. I am from India on J1 and under academic training and hence giving a lot of taxes. Also, if you have used any professional /...

F1 Students [ 2 Answers ]

Students on F1 visa from Czech republic are not exempt from paying social security tax and medicatra tax on OPT? Thank you

Age limits on tax claiming students [ 2 Answers ]

My tax preparer said we could not claim our 17year old student daughter. THIS SEEMS STRANGE ! SHE'S STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL AND DOES NOT HAVE A P/T JOB... RSVP TKS. G

Tax return for J-1 visa students [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to file for a tax return in the USA if you are a foreign student with J-1 visa??

International Students [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched a lot of sites for finnancial aid and scollarships all round the Internet. I am stricly interested in for a schollarship in an Enlgish speaking country e.x. USA, UK, Australia. I have also contacted and visited sites of many Iniversities from the mentioned countries, but in every...

View more questions Search