Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emerald_sangria Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 07:27 PM
    A biologist measures the amount of contaminant in a lake four hours after a chemic
    3. A biologist measures the amount of contaminant in a lake four hours after a chemical spill and again 12 hours after the spill. She sets up two possible models to determine Q, the amount of chemical remaining in the lake as a function of t, the time in hours.
    a. In the first model, she assumes that the contaminant is leaving the lake at a constant rate of 5 tons/hour and that the lake will be free of contaminant 30 hours after the spill. Based on this model, find a formula for Q(t), the quantity (in tons) of contaminant remaining in the lake as a function of time. What were the amounts measured at four and 12 hours?
    b. In her second model, she assumes that the amount of contaminant decreases exponentially. Using the data available, find another formula for Q(t). Interpret what each of the parameters means in the context of this problem.
    c. She measures the contaminant again 19 hours after the spill and finds that 65 tons remain. Based on this evidence, which model seems best? EXPLAIN.

Check out some similar questions!

What classes do you need to take in high school to become a marine biologist? [ 2 Answers ]

What classes in high school do you need to take to be a marine biologist?

Is taking 150 mg fentanyl (trans dermal patch) every 48 hours a high amount? [ 0 Answers ]

Is taking 150 mg fentanyl (trans dermal patch) every 48 hours a high amount of medication, relatively speaking?

Molecular biologist on I'm morphine [ 4 Answers ]

Hello why does 10 of IM morphine have no effect on my 22 year old daughter even after 4 hours another 10 has no effect this is really frustrating I was wondering if its because she is on 15mg of oxycontin twice aday,plus liquid oxy norm for quick releise pain, Pain in right side a crack first then...

Molecular biologist on I'm morphine [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my 22 year old daughter vomits approx 20 to 40 mls of blood a day ( every day fot 3 years ) yes it has been witnessed by health athorities i.e. nurses,doctors,para's etc she also has a really bad pain in her right side that works to under her ribs it makes a cracking noise first like you...

Questions a biologist might ask about a rainforest [ 1 Answers ]

What are some questions a biologist might ask about a rainforest?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.