Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MustangUSN Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 08:55 AM
    Unable to read file header message when attempting to open jpeg attachments
    I have been unable to open jpeg files that are attached to email for several days! I have tried both Thunderird and Outlook Express and have disabled the block on attachments. No luck! The problem seemed to start when I attempted to load WinFax Pro and had an incomplete installation then when trying to remove same could not get a couple files to erase even using wipe. HELP!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2005, 07:13 AM
    If you have Windows XP you can try the System Restore feature to restore your computer to the day before the problem occurred.

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore.

Be aware that any programs installed after that date will have to be reinstalled.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 09:10 AM
    System Restore
    Hi,
    If you don't know how to use System Restore, here is a step by step site that can help:

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...01189&seqNum=1

Best wishes,
    fredg
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Mar 10, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Careful Curly or Fred will report you for abuse and harassment! ;)

Murray

Mar 10, 2005, 12:48 PM
    Been there done that
    I have used system restore to no avail. I ain't the brightest bulb in the bushel but had done that. I went back as far as system restore would allow and it said there were no changes to the system? I know that the WinFax Pro fiasco was subsequent to the date I chose to restore to. I also have installed Firefox and Thunderbird subsequent to the date and system restore didn't pick up on that.
    MustangUSN
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2005, 01:21 PM
    Can you open jpegs when they are elsewhere i.e. not as email attachments?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 10, 2005, 01:43 PM
    Have you tried to reinstall WINfax pro and then uninstall fully?

Maybe worth a shot.

Does this only affect e-mailed jpeg or is it all jpeg files, as the may be just a file association problem.

Mar 10, 2005, 02:24 PM
    I have tried to reinstall WinFax Pro but the files that will not uninstall are apparently blocking a reinstallation. I can open jpeg files on my isp server and copy them to my pictures in windows and then they are viewable. If I screw up and open T-Bird or Outlook Express then the jpeg or tiff's for that matter are unviewable and I get the "Unable to read file header" message. With some attempts it does say the file may be corrupted. My local nerd can't help.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to save JPEG into smaller size of file... [ 1 Answers ]

Im using Corel and Adobe... I want to know how to export my work into a smaller size of JPEG file... cause I enccounter this when Im to upload a photo in a site... but it asking me to upload only 110 x 110 pixels and 15k... so I edit my 2 x 2 photo (300 DPI) using photoshop I try to reduce the...

Cd-rom unable to read [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new to this community and I am also new to the techie world. I don't really know all the fancy names and such and such that everything has, but my computer has a few problems which I think could be related. Its kind of long because I don't know what's important and what is not, so sorry...

How to open .that file [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to open a .dat file, does any one know how ? :(

.jpeg photo attachments in Outlook Express [ 4 Answers ]

How do you stop .jpeg photo attachments from appearing in the body of the text?? These are very annoying, take up a lot of space. They also appear in the body of the email that the recipient gets.

Unable to Open Certain Web Pages [ 1 Answers ]

I have both FF & IE on my XP computer. Two weeks ago I had Cable DSL installed & it seems the computer is more sluggish now. Is it possilbe they changes something in the set up? Before we used High Speed through the phone company. I have Trend Micro Running, Microsoft Antispyware AdAware SE...

View more questions Search