Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommo123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 03:48 PM
    We don't have sex anymore
    Hello,

Me and my Girlfriend ( both 20 ) have been in a relationship for around 1 and a half years and ever since September last year, her sex drive has just gone straight down the drain.

Nothing has drastically changed at all and I openly discuss this with her all the time and she says she will change, but 20 minutes later she's fast asleep.

I've asked her if its me, I've asked why, I've done everything to find out why and now It's getting to the point where I am so 'frustrated' its taking a toll on my social life and work. I feel like I need to end it, but can't justify doing it over sex!

I know that sounds shallow, but as we are so young, it is the norm for young people to have sex, and as you get older I presume it happens less and less, I've explained how important it is to me and its getting to the point now where I am hinting and she just turns round and doesn't give a flying ****.

What should I do?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 04:45 PM
    Hello,

Me and my Girlfriend ( both 20 ) have been in a relationship for around 1 and a half years and ever since September last year, her sex drive has just gone straight down the drain.

Nothing has drastically changed at all and I openly discuss this with her all the time and she says she will change, but 20 minutes later she's fast asleep.

I've asked her if its me, I've asked why, I've done everything to find out why and now It's getting to the point where I am so 'frustrated' its taking a toll on my social life and work. I feel like I need to end it, but can't justify doing it over sex!

I know that sounds shallow, but as we are so young, it is the norm for young people to have sex, and as you get older I presume it happens less and less, I've explained how important it is to me and its getting to the point now where I am hinting and she just turns round and doesn't give a flying ****.

What should I do?
    Has she been to the doctor to make certain she is healthy?

Obviously there is something wrong if she is 'fast asleep in 20 minutes'. There may not be any 'drastic' changes, but what about smaller ones that add up? Does she have any health issues? Is she on any medications including birth control? Did something happen in September to decrease her drive? Any pregnancy or other health scares?

Stress, depression, exhaustion, etc. are all libido limiters. So is being pressured to have sex when you are you aren't in the mood. So is being constantly reminded you are letting your partner down. What may have started as a minor down period could have gotten worse if you have kept pressure on her to have sex since this began.

Has she gotten to the point where she thinks all you want is sex? Do you show her affection when you aren't expecting sex?

In all of your discussions about your needs, have you listened to what she says about hers? Does she feel like she can open up about hers without you bringing it back to yours?

'Normal' is a relative term. What is usual for one person/couple may not be for another.

She needs a check up to make certain she is healthy. What happens after that should be a discussion (not in bed or when you want sex) between you when you know if there is a physical issue.

Something to ask yourself, what would you do if it turns out that this is the limit of her libido for the foreseeable future?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 04:53 PM
    What is her work/school schedule like? For us women, sex starts before we take off our clothes. Foreplay should start in the morning when the two of you wake up and last throughout the day. For us women, sex is mental not physical.

Is it possible that you need to re-evaluate how you broach the subject with her? Is it possible that she is not mentally ready for the act?
    too_obvious Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 5, 2013, 12:25 AM
    It's very simple.

She's just not that into you anymore.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 5, 2013, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by too_obvious View Post
    It's very simple.

She's just not that into you anymore.
    It is never that simple. Saying that it is trivializes the relationship without knowing details. We don't know if there has been anything else going on in the relationship. Stress, exhaustion, mixed up schedules, health concerns, self-image/esteem issues, or many other things can be a concern about what is going on.

Stress, if you've got a stressful working environment or not sure where your next meal is coming from then it will take a toll on your sex life. Trust me on this one. Same with exhaustion. I have turned down sex because I was exhausted. A guy turned down sex. Think about that. If you're working third shift and she's working first... you could just not have enough face time and you don't want sex to be the only you do when you finally see your mate.

Think about it. Relational dynamics is never simple.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2013, 07:50 AM
    I agree that "fast asleep in 20 minutes" on a regular basis indicates it could be a health/work issue. I also think (to an extent) that she just may not be that into the sex act with the OP any longer.

I think a conversation is in order. This makes me think the discussion was one sided - " I openly discuss this with her all the time and she says she will change, but 20 minutes later she's fast asleep. "

I always wonder about frequency - I worked in a legal firm that specialized in family law. Husbands came in and complained that the couple NEVER had sex. The wife's papers indicated three times a week.

Define "we don't have sex any longer/more" and "never."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We don't have sex anymore... should I keep trying? [ 7 Answers ]

So my boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years. When we met as taboo to some as it is we had sex the first night. It was so good and all night that when I stood up I feel to my knees. We immediately had a strong connection and moved in together within 2 weeks and lived together ever since....

We don't have sex anymore [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a little over 3 years. For the last year and a half we do not have sex. At first I thought it was because I had gained wieght,but when my daughter came for a visit he was in the mood. I tried to talk with him about this several different times. Each time...

We don't have sex anymore [ 6 Answers ]

I've been with my partner for 10 years we met when we were 16 and I fell pregnant within 2 months the relationship has had some really low points in earlier years when he repeatedly cheated and left me and the kids for other women now I find myself in the situation that I don't want to be with him...

Why don't we have sex anymore [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been together for 6year.We never have sex because she doesn't won't it anymore.We only do it to satisfied me but that doesn't last that long course I no she doesn't enjoy it anymore and it just for me in a way! I am at my wits end because we never kiss we never hug.Sound...

We don't have sex anymore. [ 10 Answers ]

I am new to this site and I joined thinking that maybe I could get some answers to my problem, which I am too embarrassed to discuss with anyone I know. My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years. When we first started dating, we had sex all the time (which is usually the case when you...

View more questions Search