Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCinSC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 05:57 AM
    Breaker Upgrades
    I have 15 amp breakers for some lights and recepticles throughout my home and we continually overload the breakers when using hair dryers, heaters, etc.

Can I upgrade these breakers to 20 or 30 amp versions without any consequences? I want to reduce the number or tripped breakers, but I don't want to create any potential fire hazards or other problems!

Thanks!

JCinSC
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2005, 09:30 AM
    Most home wiring is 12-2 NM. The wire will have the gauge imprinted on it somewhere, both the single wires and the outside jacket. There should be a little of the wire available in the box with the receptacle, but perhaps not enough to find the size. You can also check the copper wire itself. A wire gauge would be best, but 12 gauge should be 0.08081'' in diameter, and 14 gauge is only 0.06406''. Even comparing the wire visually to a known sample would work. If the wire is 12 gauge or larger, it is a simple matter of replacing the breakers with 20 amp ones. Otherwise, you must run new wire or additional circuits.

Replacing breakers is not much of a job, post back if you need help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

A circuit breaker connected to the kitchen tripped twice. I had an electrician in but the problem persists - in fact, the very day the electrician came. It does not seem to be caused by any one particular appliance. The first time I was using the waste disposal and the next two times nothing was...

Gfi breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have an outdoor pond. I think that my electrical connection got wet and shorted out. My question is, I changed out all the receptacles on the gfi circuit and only two work. Is it possible that the breaker is bad and does not supply all of the circuits now??

Breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have low voltage landscape lighting plugged into an outside outlet. The total watts is about 500 and I am using a 600 watt transformer. The outlet is a GFI outlet and has a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Nothing else is on this breaker. Sometimes the breaker will trip. I have replaced the...

15 amp breaker [ 5 Answers ]

Rewiring my kitchen, I have refrigerator, stove with electronic ignition, exhaust hood, and a microwave, and a duplex plug. Wondering if too much power for 15 amp breaker. Thanks for any info.

View more questions Search