Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MiniMargie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Is it possible to maintain a diet while eating sugar?
    I have a VERY irresistible craving for sugar. I over-love cake! Recently I started a diet where I cut off all fried food, pasta, rice, sodas, and chips. In just 9 days I've lost 3 pounds. But today I couldn't hold it any longer. After 9 days of avoiding cake I just HAD to go get some. My question is, if I continue to avoid the other foods that I've been avoiding but have a cupcake or 2 every other day, can I maintain my diet and continue to shred pounds? I do exercise regularly. I do hundreds of squats.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 3, 2013, 06:01 PM
    It took you 9 days to lose 3 pounds.
    Now you want 2 cupcakes every other day, or 5 in 10 days, or 15 in 30... somehow I don't think you will lose more than 1 pound a month that way.
    I am sympathetic. I'm a sugar junkie too. I don't drink sodas or greasy foods, just ice cream and cookies.

Jun 3, 2013, 06:06 PM
    So the answer would be no? I wouldn't continue to lose weight if I start back eating cake? Isn't ice cream and cookies just as bad as cake? I really want to kick this stupid addiction that I have to sweet stuff. It's actually not good at all in the long run.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 3, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Of course ice cream and cookies are as bad as cake... but I'm not on a diet.
    I should be, but I gave up. I don't care anymore.

Jun 3, 2013, 06:20 PM
    I know man this is sooooo HARD to maintain! I literally could not take it. I wonder if there's any type of therapy that can help a sugar addiction.

Ok, at what age do people usually start gaining weight? I googled the question and the answer of "early 30s" came up but a lot of people tell me that it's actually the early 20s. I'm 26 and I still have a perfect body (the Lord had to be with me). But I am trying to start eating healthy because I'd hate to wake up one day with 100 extra pounds.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 06:26 PM
    Have you tried any of the sugar-free cakes or made one and used Splenda instead of sugar?

Jun 3, 2013, 06:44 PM
    @Wondergirl, I saw those in Publix but the writing said something to the effect of the cake not being a diet supplement or that it doesn't have less calories. So I figured it would have the same amount of fat as the regular cake. Was I wrong?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMargie View Post
    @Wondergirl, I saw those in Publix but the writing said something to the effect of the cake not being a diet supplement or that it doesn't have less calories. So I figured it would have the same amount of fat as the regular cake. Was I wrong?
    Fat and sugar are two different things. You want to avoid both?

Jun 3, 2013, 07:12 PM
    I would like to avoid anything that can cause me to gain weight, but I have a sweet tooth that I can't kick :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 07:19 PM
    I would like to avoid anything that can cause me to gain weight, but I have a sweet tooth that I can't kick :(
    You will have to find box cake mixes that are no sugar and low fat, or surf the Internet for those kinds of cake recipes. Your public library will have cookbooks (or can get them for you) with low-fat, no-sugar desserts.

There is no reason to think you will gain weight as you age. Eat a good diet all around, and keep your body moving with walking, biking, swimming, yoga, or whatever works for you.

Jun 3, 2013, 08:06 PM
    So healthy cakes really exist?? GREAT NEWS! Never new. Yea see I've always ate like a pig, sweets, fried foods, fast food etc. But I was told that once I reach a certain age it would all catch up with me. So I'm trying to fix my eating habit.

You mentioned low-fat cake mix. I was told that fat doesn't cause weight gain, that it's the carbs. So while shopping should I look for low-fat items or low-carb items?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 08:09 PM
    But I was told that once I reach a certain age it would all catch up with me. So I'm trying to fix my eating habit.
    That may not be true of you. I had a lot of skinny relatives into their 80s.
    So while shopping should I look for low-fat items or low-carb items?
    Both. And eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Complete change of diet / blood sugar [ 1 Answers ]

I changed my diet completely about six weeks ago and began exercising. All the sugary products were removed from my diet. I have felt like crud for about 5 weeks now. I have had excessive sweating and dizziness. Today I have been paying attention to urination and I have urinated about every...

Whenever I diet, I get symptoms of low blood sugar? [ 10 Answers ]

Okay - here's the deal. I am absolutely embaressed of this. I am a Junior in college (nursing school, to get my BSN), 20 years old, 5'6" tall, and 240 pounds. Since starting college as a freshman I was 135 pounds, I have successfully gained over 100 pounds in 2 years. I don't know what happened....

Source for % sugar per day on 2000 calorie diet [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a source for this information? 10% of daily calories should be from sugar? I am preparing a presentation for a corporation's food offering and need sources to document these suggestions.

Eating sugar diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

I am worried about getting diabetes. I eat a lot of sugar and wasn't sure whether too much sugar causes diabetes? I am not fat and there isn't a history of diabetes in my family, but I am v worried. Will too much sugar cause diabetes? Is artificial sweetener going to cause diabetes?

View more questions Search