Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmachado0613 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Well water running light brown. Running cold water for 15 min. helped a little.
    All my taps are running light brown. I have well water. I ran the cold water for 15 minutes and that helped a little. What should I do?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2013, 12:26 PM
    Light brown! This could be rust built up in old galvanized pipe or soil from a water table that has fallen. There's a difference.. Soil has a small gritty feeling w2hile rust tends to flake. How old is your system and what type of pipes do you have? Back to you, Tom
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2013, 02:18 PM
    Could be iron from the soil, but it would take a lot to color and would have a metallic taste. Fairly common in some areas but it should have shown up before.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 2, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Hi cm. Do you have a whole house water filter? If so, change it and see if the brown goes away. If no filter, it may be time to add one. Also, you can pour a gallon of bleach down the well, let it set overnight, then in the morning run water at an outside spigot for at least a couple of hours to flush the bleach. Let it run until you can no longer smell, or taste the bleach.

Let me know how things work out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brown water after running it for a while?? [ 1 Answers ]

I have well water... When I run the water for a significant amount of time it will turn brown and stay brown for a few days... Why does this happen?? Please help...

How can cold water be fine but no hot water running? On a well. [ 1 Answers ]

On a well... today there was no running water, but now cold is fine but there is no hot water. Well problem or plumbing problem?

The hot water in my home is running and the cold water isn't [ 1 Answers ]

A few weeks ago the cold water in my home was running with no problem throughout the entire home and a minimul amount of hot water would flow through the all of the sinks and the master shower on the 2nd floor of my home. At that same time no water would run through either bathtub on the 2nd...

21F Hot water wasn't running, now cold water comes out of warm when [ 1 Answers ]

We had 17F at night, I let warm and cold water on dripping. But this morning the hot water wasn't running in the whole house. I opened all the hot water faucets, when I turn on cold water there is water coming out of the warm water faucet, but it's cold. Are they somehow connected? Why is the...

No water running from Cold water Tap [ 2 Answers ]

I get water in my hot water tap but do not get water in cold water tap. I open the tap fully but not a drop. Any suggestions? Please help.

View more questions Search