Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boricuamom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 12:32 PM
    VA disability benefits
    Can my VA disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 12:42 PM
    No, but they can freeze bank accounts with that money in them. You will then have to prove it is that money in the bank to get it released normally. ( hopefully they won't freeze the account, but if you read enough questions here, you see it happens.
    MarineCorpsVet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 07:32 PM
    VA disability payments cannot be garnished for an unsecured loan which credit cards fall under. You also may check in your state as to what the statute of limitations is as the credit card company cannot come after you if you are past the time. FR_Chuck you need to realize that VA disability payments cannot be garnished other than for a Government debt, and a bank account cannot be frozen for unsecured loans which a unsecured credit card is.

I am a 100% Disabled Marine Vet and have worked for Veterans Affairs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

Disability and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I need to declare bankruptcy and would like to know whether there are special clauses protecting me as a registered disabled person in Canada, i.e. whether my personal possessions and other items I own such as a car, furniture, piano, art materials (piano and art materials are used to earn a...

Speaking disability [ 4 Answers ]

I use to fumble when I speak. I am used to the remarks that people pass when I am stuck in a sentence. All that worry me is the interesting fact that when I speak to my friends or outsiders (other than my family members) I speak like normal people (or get slightest of fumbles that are negligible)...

Learning Disability [ 1 Answers ]

I am post graduate student in China. At peresnt I am studining Chinese's language. I find it very intersing and not difficult to learn spoken. But the Chinese's characters are not so easy and I have some difficulty in mimorizing them. You know I forget or I mix the charecters. Please what do you...

View more questions Search