Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

May 30, 2013, 12:25 PM
    What is wrong with my eyeglasses
    Just got new eyeglasses and new prescription after an eye exam at a new place. One of those places where doc examines you then you walk across the store and they sell you eyeglasses. Large franchise type. My old tried and true independent doctor doesn't take my new insurance.

Put on these new glasses and immediately noticed I had trouble seeing with them and gal selling the glasses tells me it takes me getting used to new prescription plus I usually wear my contacts, so my eyes have to adjust to glasses. (But I have always worn contacts and when I take them out put on my old glasses and have no problem. I need a bifocal which I wear separately and I am severely near-sighted. The new change to my prescription was both eyes about -1 from what I was.--at least in contacts I went from -8 to -9) These new glasses are similar in style/size as old ones.

The same problem occurred 2 months ago with my young daughter's glasses at same place. I took her back and they adjusted them and she said then they were OK. Now I am questioning her and think she only said they were better so as not to be a bother (as this place is 2 hour drive from our home)

So I am wanting to figure out what's really wrong starting with me and then going back to her and don't trust this new place at all to tell me the truth.

Here is what I am experiencing:
    I perceive the world moving--almost makes me nauseous--as I turn my head in these glasses.
    If I were to look at the story headlines on a magazine lying on a table maybe 5 feet away, I can read all the print (about 1/4 inch size) with my old glasses and with my new and old contacts. No bifocals. It is all blurry with the new glasses.
    But I find that if I take the new glasses and move them out further away from my face--about 1-1/2 to 2 inches, well then I can bring things into sharper focus.
    So what does that mean?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 30, 2013, 01:51 PM
    Guess what - I have been going through this since I was a kid, and I'm now 66. I think my 2 siblings experience the same thing. I too have gone back, and I too get the same response every time: it takes time to adjust.
    Baloney. I have never had a pair of bifocals, whether graduated or not, that I could see out of. I too can hold them out 2" and see better. I can't see from about 12" to 6' much at all. I can see long distance. I am near sighted.
    One optometrist explained something like this once, may years ago: some eyes need 5 pairs of glasses, and graduated lenses are pretty much guesswork.
    I gave up years ago. Now I am getting cataracts and it's all just too much to deal with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Eyeglasses [ 1 Answers ]

I am on disability and got a eye exam through my husbands insurance but they don't pay for the glasses. I can't afford the glasses is there anywere I can go to get glasses free or discounted

Free eyeglasses [ 1 Answers ]

Free eyeglasses in Oklahoma

Eyeglasses [ 3 Answers ]

I need help in getting my prescriptions for my eyeglasses.. my husband lost his job,his mom has been paying are bills why he is looking for a job, were on soonercare but they will not pay for my glasses. We have two girls 17yr is in the 12th grade and 7yr is in 2nd grade.. anything would help and...

In Need Of EyeGlasses. [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me on getting new eyeglasses?

Need eyeglasses [ 2 Answers ]

Good mrning I have disibility pending and my eyesight is so bad evrything I look at upclose and far away is blurred,I wear over the counter to see up close.I am in cocoa,Florida,and am in desperate need of glasses.Is there a orginazation here in my area that could do that for me for free I would...

View more questions Search