Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mackiesmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2013, 11:21 AM
    Name change request for minor child
    I have a 17 month old son with a man that I have never been married to and we have not been a couple for a year. When my son was born, I gave him my last name and did not put the father's name on the birth certificate. Shortly after his birth, the father and I got back together and after 3 months, I had his name added to the birth certificate at the urging of the father. But we did not change the baby's last name. After another three months, the father and I split up again and have not been back together and have no plans to reunite.

The father is now threatening to petition the court to change the baby's last name to his last name because I am in a new relationship. However, the man I date is the product of a broken home and has a father and two step fathers. He does not have any intentions of interfering in my son and his biological father's relationship. But my son's father wants to change the name anyway, even though he barely pays his child support, is currently behind in child support, and recently gave up his parental rights to his 4 year old daughter.

How can I fight this petition? I do not want to change my son's last name. I am afraid if that were to happen, that the father would want to sign away his parental rights to my son in a few years when he is far behind on his child support; which is the case with his signing away rights to his daughter.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 29, 2013, 11:29 AM
    Fight what petition? He has no basis for a petition and is blowing smoke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name change to minor child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I live in the state of Alabama. We found out he was the father of a 9 month old a few months after we met. Since we found out we have taken his ex girlfriend to court to get visitation with his child, have paid retroactive child support,and monthly child support. We have made a nice...

Minor Child name change [ 20 Answers ]

My kids father left when they were under a year old. We haven't spoken nor has he seen them in over 4 years. He has been paying child support which I rely on but wants nothing to do with us. I would like my kids last name changed legally but still collect child support. My son is in school and are...

Minor child name change [ 1 Answers ]

If I get consent from the bio father of my kids to change there last name can I do so and still collect child support. He has not seen or talk to them since they were under a year and doesn't plant to.

Minor Child Name Change [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to get my sons name changed to my last name. His biological father signed over all rights to him twice. I want to change his name to my husbands last name as he is currently trying to adopt my son. Can I do this without contacting the biological father since he has already given up all...

Minor Child Name Change [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to get my son's last name changed to my husbands last name. His biological father signed over all rights to him legally twice so I didn't know if that would be enough to exclude him from this process. I need to know if I have to get his biological father's permission. Also, my son is...

View more questions Search