Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazzonazz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status
    Hi experts'

Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1

JazZ
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
    JazZ:

He should file NOTHING, because you are NOT EXEMPT from federal and state income taxes while on a F-1 visa.

You ARE exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes, however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Federal & State tax not withheld by employer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, One of my friend's employer didn't withheld federal & state tax for the entire year 2006. Now his current year's tax is around $3,000. Last year's tax was around $275. I want to know, whether he is supposed to pay any penalty or interest? If yes, then is there any option for paying...

How much state tax and federal tax do I have to give [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on OPT right now and I am working in virginia. Could some please tell me how much state tax and fedal tax, I have to give from my salary each month?

Federal / State Tax - for NR in H1B with Family in H4 [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B and came to US on Sept 10th 2006. My wife and son are on H4 and they came to US on Nov 4th 2006. I have to file for Federal as well as 2 State taxes (NJ, OH). NJ - 09/10/2006 till 10/08/2006 OH - 10/08/2006 till 12/31/2006 (I am currently staying) 1. Please let me know my...

Federal Tax status for HI-B Visa Holder [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I graduated in May 2005 and have been holding a H1-B visa since December 2005. I am wondering what is my tax status for this year ? Which form should I fIll out? Is it possible for me to file my taxes as if I was a permanent resident even though I do not hold a green card (In the past I was...

View more questions Search