Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 04:20 PM
    Can you tell stories out loud (rather than write them), for instance, when babysitting?
    yttrium Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2013, 04:28 PM
    Here I'm not really naming or expressing emotions using words. I'm saying I love this or hate that but that's not really naming what I feel, I'm just trying to describe events and causes and effects (for example writing assignment, unnamed emotion, and crying) and trying to avoid actually describing feelings.
    Also it changes depending on how much pressure I am under, so "you have 45 minutes to write a paper about how love is portrayed in Shakespeare" actually made me cry just from thinking about having to do it the next day.

And it doesn't matter whether I am talking or writing, just that it is with words.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yttrium View Post
    And it doesn't matter whether I am talking or writing, just that it is with words.
    Has any psychologist or psychiatrist given you the T.A.T.

Aug 1, 2013, 04:39 PM
    No and I don't think it would make any difference in whether I put things into words because it would be just like writing a story which always has a bunch of feelings in it and even though they may not be expressed directly they are still expressed in words.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 04:42 PM
    No and I don't think it would make any difference in whether I put things into words because it would be just like writing a story which always has a bunch of feelings in it and even though they may not be expressed directly they are still expressed in words.
    Do you know what the T.A.T. is? It would be a very good indicator of how things play out for you.

Aug 1, 2013, 04:47 PM
    Yes it's the Thematic Apperception Test. And I know exactly how it would play out: I would say nothing and then start crying.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 04:58 PM
    Yes it's the Thematic Apperception Test. And I know exactly how it would play out: I would say nothing and then start crying.
    I would show you three pictures and ask for three sentences each. That's all. None of them are loaded with emotion and can be responded to unemotionally. No crying would be necessary.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:09 PM
    I cried when I was asked to write 1 sentence that used a certain set of words under a time limit. It wouldn't seem to have emotion but there was more than one way to write the sentence and there wasn't an obvious answer. And I cried when I was asked to list different kinds of food under a time limit. The time limit created a lot more pressure but the TAT seems scary even without a time limit. It has infinite possible answers and none of them are obvious or normal or right so whatever I say will have feelings in it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:15 PM
    I cried when I was asked to write 1 sentence that used a certain set of words under a time limit. It wouldn't seem to have emotion but there was more than one way to write the sentence and there wasn't an obvious answer. And I cried when I was asked to list different kinds of food under a time limit. The time limit created a lot more pressure but the TAT seems scary even without a time limit. It has infinite possible answers and none of them are obvious or normal or right so whatever I say will have feelings in it.
    The T.A.T. can be responded to as emotionally or as unemotionally as one wishes.

It doesn't sound like emotion has much to do with your writing. Something else seems to be going on.
    Zea Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Aug 1, 2013, 05:18 PM
    PET can be used to detect brain disorders (ex- alexithymia). Just ask someone who knows, if you can take a PET test.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Give me one example of how you could respond to the TAT in a factual and objective manner.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Give me one example of how you could respond to the TAT in a factual and objective manner.
    Give me a picture suggestion as an example.(Just briefly describe one of them in a couple of words -- I know them all.)

Aug 1, 2013, 05:25 PM
    Here's an online TAT. TAT
    And the instructions say "Try to portray who the people might be, what they are feeling, thinking, and wishing" which is completely non-objective and would definitely require writing something that has feelings in it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:26 PM
    And the instructions say "Try to portray who the people might be, what they are feeling, thinking, and wishing" which is completely non-objective and would definitely require writing something that has feelings in it.
    But that is not what I would ask you to do. I'd ask you for three objective sentences in two minutes or less.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:28 PM
    Well, what is your objective and factual 3-sentence answer to that picture?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:30 PM
    That picture has been thrown out, by the way.

Two women are in a lab. One is testing something. The other is watching her.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:42 PM
    All right, if I can be that objective, I'll see if I can do it.

By the way what do you think is the "something else going on" that you mentioned earlier?

Aug 1, 2013, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zea View Post
    PET can be used to detect brain disorders (ex- alexithymia). Just ask someone who knows, if you can take a PET test.
    Who would be the person that knows?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:45 PM
    Let me ask you this -- if I showed you three T.A.T. pictures and asked you to come up with three objective sentences in one minute for each one, what would happen?

Aug 1, 2013, 06:07 PM
    I guess I would be really nervous. But I can't predict the outcome. There is a chance that I could start crying but that might depend on the individual picture. Some pictures have less obvious answers than others and sometimes if there are multiple answers that might work but none of them are good then I would start crying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cheated and don't understand my emotions [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know if anyone else feels similar to how I feel at all but any help or opinions would really be appreciated, this is quite long and detailed which I feel it needs to be but I would still appreciate responses that are based on skim-reading. I have always felt really quite detached with my...

I don't understaned my emotions.I used to badly miss this person , now I don't ? [ 2 Answers ]

There is this person , a female which was in love with me and I was in love with her. We weren't together for complicated reasons but when she went away for say 3 weeks and we didn't talk , I terribly missed her and so did she. The moment we managed to talk on the phone or meet we were both so...

Mix Emotions? [ 4 Answers ]

My Ex Boyfriend broke up with me( we are together for 3months). We've been a couple tru online. Then before our 4th month we decided to meet. Then after 3days He decided to broke up with tru chat, telling that he doesn't love me anymore. I think he broke up because he saw me fat. So I decided...

What are these songs from a House Mix, no words. Just music [ 1 Answers ]

its so hard to explain these songs since they have no words but I was at a dance recital "Danceadelphia" and the name of the dance was "House Mix 07 or 08" I forget actually.. but it was one of those. And I loved the whole entire mix but I don't know any of the songssss! I know some of them are...

Emotions don't make sense [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: why can I be OK 1 min with my boyfriend and then the next turn and hate him? Il ask him a question I don't like the answer so il turn on him and then say whatever and after a argument il always say its over and I actually feel like I want it over at the time and the next day il regret...

View more questions Search