Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cookie165 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2013, 04:56 PM
    Light has two black and two white wires and one ground
    Light box has one black one white and one ground, I hooked up all the black together and white together and ground together and the light won't work there are three wall switches the first switch goes to light in closet the second worked the light and I don't know where the third switch goes It worked before I even tried the old light but still nothing. Help
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 28, 2013, 05:42 PM
    You have a switch loop if you have 1 white and 1 black on a switch. Look and see. In the wall or ceiling is a hot black. Find it. That connects to the switch white and the switch black connects to the light black. The ceiling white connects to the light white. Mark the switch white with black tape or black magic marker.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 28, 2013, 06:58 PM
    Silly question, but how was it wired before? Were wires spliced but not connected to the fixture?

Also, can you please try and write in sentences? This way we can just read it and won't need to figure it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New ceiling light has black, white, red and ground wire. Ceiling wires are... [ 5 Answers ]

Black, white and ground. What do I do with the extra red wire in the new light kit? I didn't have a ceiling fan nor do I want one. Thanks.

Chandelier has 2 black wires and a ground to 1 white and 1 black wire with ground [ 2 Answers ]

I have a chandelier with 2 black wires and a ground wire and I have to connect it to 1 black wire, 1 white wire, and a ground. What do I do?

I have three white and three black wires out of my ceiling how do I wire a light [ 2 Answers ]

I have three white and three black wires out of my ceiling how do I wire a light

Ceiling electrical box only has red and black wires (no white or ground) [ 12 Answers ]

The ceiling electrical box in my kids bedroom only has a single red and single black wire, but nothing else (no white wire, no bare copper ground wire, not even a grounding nut). I bought a ceiling light fixture which has the standard black, white and copper wires (hot, neutral, ground), but I've...

3 black wires, one white in light box [ 22 Answers ]

3 black wires are twisted together and connected to the blue and black on the old ceiling fan. The one white is connected to the one white on the fan. Have tried connecting these wires many different ways for a new remote controlled fan but no luck . This is a very old house with old wiring (I have...

View more questions Search