Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnnyrodd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2013, 07:23 AM
    tax credit for inheritance tax paid overseas
    my wife's mother died in Brazil and my wife inherited the apt her mother lived in.
    my have has to pay inheritance tax in Brazil for the market value of the apt, ($50k)
    what we want to know is can she sell the apt. there and use the funds to buy a house here in New Jersey without any U.S. tax liability. The amt she will get after selling the apt will be about $300k.

May 28, 2013, 07:27 AM
    My wife inherited her mothers condo in rio de janeiro brazil. If she sells it she can net 300k after paying 50k inheritance tax in Rio. Can she bring that money here to buy a home witout any tax liability here in the U.S and can she get a tax credit for the 50k she has to pay there over here. My wife is a U.S citizen , her mother did not live here and was not a u.s citizen
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 28, 2013, 07:28 AM
    Her tax liability in the US is limited to any capital gains that she may realize on the difference between the proceeds she realizes from the sale and the fair market value of the property as of the date of death of her mother. Most likely the amount of capital gain is close to zero, and could even be negative if there are costs such as realtor's fees. If capital gains are zero or negative then essentially there are no tax implications in the US.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 28, 2013, 07:39 AM
    The Brazilian real is only worth .49 cents on the US dollar so 50m reals converted to US is only 25m approx. where do you figure 300m US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 28, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Ebaines covers it well.

May 28, 2013, 07:58 AM
    The apt is worth 1 million reals so her tax was 10 pct which is 50 k reals
    The apt is in bad shape so the most she will get if she sells ii is about 650k reals roughly 300k usd
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 28, 2013, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrodd View Post
    the apt is worth 1 million reals so her tax was 10 pct which is 50 k reals
    the apt is in bad shape so the most she will get if she sells ii is about 650k reals roughly 300k usd
    Ah, yes, I see, I thought you meant it was worth 50 thou.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much tax is paid for inheritance from abroad? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question similar to this trend, but our case is different in the fact that my husband's parents already passed (11 years ago)in Guatemala, and it has taken this long to get the will probated. The estate is mainly properties that we intend to sell, and bring the money to the USA. We have...

Foreign tax credit paid or accrued [ 5 Answers ]

I live abroad and am trying to figure out Form 1116, the Foreign Tax Credit Form. I am not sure if I should count taxes as "paid" or "accrued". My taxes are withheld from my payslip. However, just as in the USA, too much or too little can be withheld, so I could end up paying more or receiving a...

Income Tax for L1 holder paid from company overseas [ 2 Answers ]

I entered the US on 7/31/07 on a L1 Visa. As Immigration Law allows, my salary will continue to be paid by the mother company in Italy. My Italian CPA says that Italian law allows me not to pay tax if I spend more than 50% of a calendar year in another country as an immigrant or non-immigrant in...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Tax credit for worthless stock inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

A worthless stock is part of my inheritance. Any tax value?

View more questions Search