Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okranch Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Rain is coming in to our electric fireplace. Where is the leak coming from?
    When it rains, water comes into the gas fireplace (fire box) and then leaks onto the wood floor in front of the fireplace hearth. The fireplace vents to the outside wall and there is a small coat closet between the exterior wall where the vent is located and the fireplace with no visible water damage in the coat closet area. You can see where the water is running down the side wall of the fireplace box and there is enough water coming in that it is leaking through to the basement ceiling below. We had our roof replaced in 2012 during a severe drought period and this spring is the first measurable precipitation we've had since the new roof was put on. This is the third time it has occurred this spring. Is the source of the water likely the roof or the exterior vent (vent is on the exterior wall)?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
    Have a roofer look at it. Could be a leak or coming down the flue. If it is the flue, consider a cover.

May 27, 2013, 12:39 PM
    Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but does an electric fireplace have a flue? Just an FYI... our electric fireplace, to which I referred in the above question, vents to the exterior wall, not the roof. Is it still possible that the leak is coming from the roof? Thank you so much!
    Uber Member

May 27, 2013, 01:47 PM
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about a chimney leak when you mentioned roof. Is there a chimney? You have a direct vent gas box but electric logs, correct? If water is running down the wall, is there a gutter above? Clean and fixed to the fascia? Is the gas FP box outside the wall? They are usually shingled on top and should be flashed. There should be a seal where the vent goes through the wall. I would install a small flashing shield,3-4" that would slip under the siding but prevent the water from coming in the vent. The direct flue vent not only vents out but also in so there is a double pipe.

May 27, 2013, 03:15 PM
    I should clarify, it is an electric fireplace (pilot light that with a flip of a switch ignites a flame along some fake logs. It operates off propane. When I said the rain water runs down the wall, I meant the interior wall of the firebox, not the interior wall of the house. There is a small coat closet that backs onto the fireplace and is between the fireplace and the exterior wall. There is no evidence of any moisture in the coat closet. There is a vent for the fireplace on the exterior wall of the house. So you're thinking the moisture is likely coming through the fireplace vent on the exterior? We've been in our house for seventeen years and this is the first time we've ever had this problem. In answer to your question, there is a gutter that runs along the exterior wall that is fixed to the fascia. I'm not sure if it is clean as it's up pretty high but it does run above where the fireplace vent is located. Is it possible the gutter is backed up and the water is spilling over into the fireplace vent? Or have I misunderstood? Sorry, for the long winded explanation. Appreciate any help you can give me very very much!

May 27, 2013, 03:33 PM
    I should also add that, although this is first time this problem has occurred after 17 years in this house, the gutters were replaced at the same time as the roof last year.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2013, 04:30 PM
    It is a gas fireplace with electronic ignition, just like mine. First thing to do is look at the vent where it passes through the wall. Look for any cracks or separation. If you see any, seal them with a good grade of exterior caulking. I would also make a small rain deflector as I initially explained. Is there a sewer vent pipe in the wall between the closet and the FP? Could be a leaking boot on the roof vent.

May 27, 2013, 04:36 PM
    Thank you, thank you for this good information! We've cleaned out the gutter that is directly above the exterior vent. It was quite clogged. A storm is in the forecast for tonight so we'll see if that helps. Hopefully, that will be the answer. Sounds like we may, also, need a rain deflector as you explained above. Will also check for cracks or separation. Again, many many thanks for taking the time to guide us through! Grateful for your help!
    Uber Member

May 27, 2013, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by okranch View Post
    Thank you, thank you for this good information! We've cleaned out the gutter that is directly above the exterior vent. It was quite clogged. A storm is in the forecast for tonight so we'll see if that helps. Hopefully, that will be the answer. Sounds like we may, also, need a rain deflector as you explained above. Will also check for cracks or separation. Again, many many thanks for taking the time to guide us through! Grateful for your help!
    If my answers helped, please click on the green thumb "helpful", thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain water coming in at baseboard. [ 3 Answers ]

My tentant called me today to say that a puddle of water was in the house. It was located on an exterior wall below a window. On the other side of the wall, is the front porch that is covered. The house was built in 1961, block home on a concrete slab. Although there has been heavy rain, this...

Should you be able to see heat coming out of a Kozy fireplace chimney? [ 1 Answers ]

We recently had a Kozy fireplace installed. Not sure everything was done correctly. Should I be able to see heat vapors out of the chimney?

Odor coming from fireplace/chimney [ 3 Answers ]

I put this here because heating - fireplace - really didn't know where else to go. I've been reading on the internet about chimneys emitting oder and it all describes a different smell than I'm smelling. My fire place (which has not been used for at least 4 years) has been leaking when it...

Shower Pan Leaking - rain water coming in [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 problems here, shower pan leaking, (plumber verified) also rain water coming in through same wall where the shower pan leak is. I just moved in to a one story Villa, a couple of months ago. I noticed that it was starting to smell musty, I moved some furniture and saw that the...

View more questions Search