Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1HoneyBee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2013, 11:03 AM
    "squatters rights" in an apartment
    If u live with someone in an apartment with an exspired lese and a month 2 month rent is now being paid and an eviction notice was served to the prior leser what kind of "squaters rights" does this someone have.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 25, 2013, 11:08 AM
    There is no such thing as squatter's rights.

If you are living in an apartment where the lease has expired then you are a month-to-month tenant. The only rights you have are the rights of a month-to-month tenant as per the laws of the state where the apartment is located.

If the landlord has issued an eviction notice to the prior tenant of the apartment then that eviction notice would also apply to you, as long as you were made aware of the notice. If the landlord provided the amount of time required by law for you to move out, and you fail to move out, the landlord can file a lawsuit for eviction. If you do not have a defense to the lawsuit then the landlord will win a judgment and can have you evicted by the sheriff or constable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
    There are no squatter's rights, if the prior tenant left and you stayed in the apartment the only right you might have is for legal notice to vacate. If the landlord is willing you can sign a new lease.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
    'rent is now being paid' - to whom?
    If the landlord, then you are better than a squatter, which as stated doesn't exist. You are now a tenant at will, or month to month. When a landlord accepts a full month's rent, you are automatically a tenant. Law goes by state, but I am not aware of a state where that is not true.
    Make sure you have proof of payment. If cash, get a receipt!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2013, 07:59 PM
    No rights, you can go talk to the landlord, when the rent is paid, and ask them if they still plan on eviction or not. It is totally up to the landlord
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 26, 2013, 03:22 AM
    She does have rights. She is not on the eviction notice and it's not clear that the landlord is following through with it anyway, since that person is gone. When he accepted her rent (if he did), then he would have to file a new eviction on her. Which he can do, even if he accepts rent...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment squatters rights [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my boyfriends best friends apartment because the guy was moving to Florida . A couple of months later he moved back and it just wasn't working out. Fast forward 8 months later and the lease has to be renewed and the guy is no where to be found and we have no way of contacting him to...

Squatters rights apartment [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who live in a 2 flat. The building have been vacant for over 6 years. I think a bank may own it she and her boyfriend have been there over 3 years. Can they be put out and if so are they due to some kind of financial help. I heard that they have to offer the squater money to help...

What are my rights when it comes to homesteading & or squatters rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived with my mother for over 15 years. The house is already paid for.. I am 50 yrs old & disabled. My sister wants to sell the house & put mother in a rest home. I will then be homeless. What are my rights in this matter?

Squatters rights florida/water rights [ 2 Answers ]

After 25 years, the golf course wants to cut our irrigation from the lake to our home. Is that legal?

What are squatters rights in terms of apartment rental if one wasn't on the leas [ 1 Answers ]

My father paid for 6 months of rent in Nov and passed in December in the State of Texas. His female friend which was living with him was not on the lease agreement, but we have allowed her to stay out of pity. She has a home in another county, but her son is staying in the home and she did not...

View more questions Search