Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earhlr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Please Help with Installing a Ceiling fan.
    I know to many of you this may be simple but I'm at my wits end with trial and error and still getting it wrong. Any help will be seriously appreciated.

I am trying to connect a ceiling fan to the ceiling (LOL) the wall has two switches, and I would like to connect one switch for light and one for fan, but I don't know what is what.

The fan has a Solid Black wire, a solid white wire, a black and white wire and then a green wire (from the base of fan not in wire bundle with the others)

The ceiling has a naked wire (no plastic/rubber coating), as solid white and a solid black wire all coming from the wire bundle in the ceiling and then a solid green wire on the bracket on the ceiling.

So my question is what combination means what and what color wire means what. I have tried a few combinations and I can get the light and fan to work but from only one light switch so I have to pull the cords to turn one off or on. I would like to just use wall switches, and then use cords if necessary to control fan speed.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. I'm a total amateur electrician. I'm just a simple Airborne Infantryman by trade. Basically better at destroying stuff than putting stuff together. LOL.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

May 24, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Are you positive your second wall Switch serves this ceiling fixture? Sounds to me like only one switch controls this box. Out of the ceiling the wires are as follows:
    -black: hot from switch
    -white: neutral
    -green/bare: ground wires
    Out of the fan:
    -black; fan hot
    -striped: light hot
    -white: neutral
    -green: ground

You would need another wire (usually red) coming from the ceiling to control the fan and light separately.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 24, 2013, 09:40 PM
    If there are 2 switches do they say on and off or are they blank
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 25, 2013, 06:02 AM
    OK, if you only have black, white and ground at the ceiling you cannot do what you want.
    What you are describing is a 3-way switching setup, where both switches (in different locations) work the same light.

Your only choices are to re-wire the whole thing, add a remote to the fan/light, or leave it so that the switches turn on both the fan and light and you use the pull chains to control them.

May 25, 2013, 07:16 AM
    They also make wireless switches now. I don't ln

May 25, 2013, 07:18 AM
    They also make wireless switches now. I don't know if they would fit this application, but you could Always research it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am installing a standard ceiling light where a wall controlled ceiling fan had been [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling box had a black wire, a white wire, a red wire, & a bare ground wire. I connected the black to black, white to white, ground to the ground on the fixture strap, & ignored the red wire. The light now works but not with the flip switch. It works with the round switch when it is turned to...

Installing ceiling fan with 3 hot 3 neutral and 3 ground coming from the ceiling HELP [ 4 Answers ]

When installing a ceiling fan, there are 3 hot, 3 neutral and 3 ground wires coming from the ceiling when attaching all black total of 4 all white total of 4 and all ground total of for the breaker trips, then when connecting only 2 hot together 2 neutal and 2 ground the fan and light do not work....

Installing an outdoor ceiling fan , single pole switch to control the fan. I have to [ 1 Answers ]

Pull the power from an outdoor GFI... can anyone help me on how to make the connections?

Installing Ceiling Fan - where do I attach the pink wire from ceiling? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchases a Hampton Bay Windward II ceiling fan. From my ceiling is a white, black, bare (ground), and pink wire. The fan has white, black, and green (ground). I tried capping the pink and connecting white to white and black to black and nothing works. Please help me with the...

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

View more questions Search