Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aldonby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2013, 05:44 PM
    Audio to MIDI technology
    What is the technology used (step by step) for Audio to MIDI conversion? Please the technology and its processes, not programs that can already do it.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 24, 2013, 05:56 PM
    MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is the transmission of digital data between instruments and devices. It has little to do with an audio (.mid) file that uses a sound card to create the specific sounds and notes represented by the file. So in effect a .mid file is an audio file already. It contains the notes and program data like mod wheel and portamento used when the file was created. Your question is confusing in that MIDI and audio are apples and oranges. Try looking up MIDI in wikipedia and see what you get.
    aldonby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2013, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is the transmission of digital data between instruments and devices. It has little to do with an audio (.mid) file that uses a sound card to create the specific sounds and notes represented by the file. So in effect a .mid file is an audio file already. It contains the notes and program data like mod wheel and portamento used when the file was created. Your question is confusing in that MIDI and audio are apples and oranges. Try looking up MIDI in wikipedia and see what you get.
    Thank you for your anwer. MIDI as you said is a Musical Instrument DIGITAL interface, a file .mid that reproduces INSTRUCTIONS not audio, for other programs to be played as different instruments. An audio file is actually sound when reproduced and examples are .pm3, wav, etc. There exists a technology that allows to analyze the sound file to get the exact note, pitch, volume, etc, and turn it into instructions (MIDI). Thatīs what Iīm looking for... thanks anyway!
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

May 31, 2013, 03:21 PM
    There's a few programs that claim to do it. The ones I've tried do not do it that well.

Google search "Audio to midi converter"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1] [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me I need Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller

Midi Problems [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I seem to have a midi problem and its driving me mad:mad: I have my keyboard (Yamaha PSR-160) connected via a midi cable to the game port... Im using a few different midi programs to test this on and none of them work I have a Sound Blaster live! Platinum, The sound plays back OK if...

View more questions Search