Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    montana homeowner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Hardiplank vs vinyl siding which is best
    We are in the process of residing our home after having a car back into it:( . The contractor highly praises hardiplank but the window salesman claims that his vinyl siding is superior. How do you choose?
    We are open to any and all suggestions.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Vinyl has been improving over the years but Hardiplank is more versatile and stronger. You can also change the paint on Hardiplank but vinyl you have what you bought. Your contractor will be doing the installation and he probably has more experience in this area. I'd go with him.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Is it too late to find a contractor that doesn't want to use the best of the 50's? I wouldn't trust the guy. How soon will you be looking forward to the expense or work of repainting the house? I put vinyl on my house in 1985, and haven't touched it since. What is on the house now, and how has it held up? I have seen vinyl applied over many other types of siding, but remember anybody replacing even the oldest vinyl.

Too many contractors are still using grandpappy's materials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can HardiPlank be Beveled at Corners? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm thinking of using concrete-board HardiPlank for siding. My house is a 100-year-old bungalow, with original cedar siding still in place, and at all the outside corners, the cedar siding is joined at a compound bevel. It's a really nice look that you don't see often nowadays, I...

How do I choose the right vinyl siding? [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to hire a contractor to put vinyl siding on my farm house, replacing the aluminum siding damaged by hail. I've heard quality of vinyl runs across the board. I don't want the cheap stuff they put on slab vinyl box homes. Some questions I have are: What should I look for in choosing...

Installing entry door with existing vinyl siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all - let me preface my problem below by saying I’m a fairly new homeowner, and don’t really know much about vinyl siding. I suspect I’ve done something wrong, but I’m not really sure where I went astray: I recently had to remove and then re-install a pre-hung entry door leading to our 2nd...

Vinyl flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to install vinyl flooring directly on top of a cement slab.

View more questions Search