Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UK expat in US Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 07:12 AM
    Do I need to continue completing US tax returns after I return to UK?
    I am resident in the US, paying tax in the US, on an L1 visa. My employment contract remains with the UK company.

When I return to UK at the end of my contract (not sure if it will be 2 or 3 years yet), I won't be earning any income in the US and have no property here. Will I still need to continue to file US tax returns as well as UK ones?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 22, 2013, 07:34 AM
    You would have to file a tax return only for the years you are actually present in the US. So once you return to the UK, you would file your final return for the year you left the US. Depending on your residency status for that year, you would file as a non-resident alien or resident alien (or dual status alien if you apply for an early residency termination date).
    You should read publication 519 which has all the relevant information regarding tax returns for aliens.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

You can also order a copy by mail on the IRS website:
    Forms and Publications by U.S. Mail
    UK expat in US Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
    Great, thank you. I hoped that would be the answer. I had been told different, but from a source wanting to be helpful, rather than one particularly informed. Thanks for the link.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 28, 2013, 06:05 AM
    TaxForAliens has again provided all that is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find out the status of 540X returns (amended California tax returns) [ 1 Answers ]

12 weeks ago I submitted amendments to my California state tax returns, is there a way to check on the status of these returns?

I had filed W-7 & tax return form, I got my ITIN, when should expect my tax returns? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I had my filed W-7 (for ITIN ) & my husbands tax return form, I got my ITIN , so in how many days should I expect my tax returns?

Do I have to attach a copy of my fed return with Me and Ca non-resident tax returns? [ 1 Answers ]

I am curious if I have to attach a full copy of my Federal Tax Return along with non-resident state returns. I know I have to attach a copy of my relevant W2 Forms. Thanks!

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

View more questions Search