Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Mar 22, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Hearing aids, good and bad
    My wife needs a hearing aid. Tests show nerve loss, she hears clearly, but at only about 40% level. Has had professional testing done. I would like for you who use hearing aids to either recommend or warn against various makes and models, ie: (if you would be so kind), how much did yours cost, how long have you had it, etc. I know absolutely nothing about the things! Thank You for your replies.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 08:28 PM
    I will say for my father ( he passed a year ago) we spent a few thousand dollars per hearing aid, and tried several over several years. None of them worked well for him.

I would see if they give any warrant or guarntee they will work for the patient
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Mar 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
    I have had mine for about 11 years. I'd suggest Eli's DirX or the Artis and Cielo models. I believe they should be in the thousands range. I'm not how much mine but like I said it could've been a thousand dollars or more.

Mar 23, 2007, 10:09 PM
    I forgot to mention that I don't wear any of the models I suggested so I don't know if they will work for you.

Mar 24, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    I forgot to mention that I don't wear any of the models I suggested so I don't know if they will work for you.
    So, what are you currently using? Are you happy with them?

Mar 24, 2007, 07:30 PM
    I'm using the Phonak Power Maxx kind. Yeah, I'm very happy with them.

Here's another tip: Avoid areas full of moisture as they tend to damage hearing aids. If it's hard to do that. I suggest you buy a dehumidifier.

Mar 24, 2007, 07:32 PM
    I completely missed something! I have not worn mine for 11 years, I have worn hearing aids for about 11 years! Several months ago, my right hearing aid wasn't working so I had to get a new pair of hearing aids.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 08:10 PM
    I have tried and been disappointed with hearing aids before. The day you posted, I picked up a pair of Siemens CIELO ITE hearing aids. Same old story, they do a great job of picking up every click of my keyboard, but I still struggle to understand what people are saying.

Mar 25, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I have tried and been disappointed with hearing aids before. The day you posted, I picked up a pair of Siemens CIELO ITE hearing aids. Same old story, they do a great job of picking up every click of my keyboard, but I still struggle to understand what people are saying.
    They actually have Siemens Cielo ITE hearing aids? I assumed it was only the BTE kind. Maybe you're experiencing feedback? I think that those with severe hearing losses experience quite a bit of feedback when wearing ITE hearing aids.

Mar 26, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Well, we plan to go to an audi next Thurs. He uses Siemens, but talks like he will recommend a bte with 2 mics, button controlled rear mike, and a volume wheel and open tip in the ear. About $1400 ea I think. This man seems to have a good rep locally.

Mar 26, 2007, 07:10 PM
    I lost track. Who's "he"?
    Gina47 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 04:07 PM

I have worn different types of hearing aids in my right ear for 18 years until two years ago I opted to have an operation to have a Baha hearing aid. This is means "Bone achored hearing aid". This type of hearing aid is conducted by sound that travels in the skull. I have absolutely no idea how many thousands of dollars it would cost in countries outside of NZ, but here in NZ dollars the hearing aid alone is just over $8000.00, the operation is more. I guess I am lucky to have had this done as my hearing is way better than without it. Hearing aids in the ear were more of a nuisance as I always had to deal with consistent ear infections, lots of background noise and unexpected loud noises. Type 'baha hearing aids' or 'hearing aids in Google or a search engine if you want to get more info.
    whynot57 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 07:56 PM

I had a friend that bought a very hi tech hearing aid and told me it was wonderful as he could hear things that normal people couldn't hear.

When I asked him what kind it was he said "It's about 10:41 a.m.

I couldn't resisit I thought he was funny.

On the serious side of things I would shop around in various places before you make that purchase as there are many out there that will have your wallet over offering sincere help. Don't get burned. Good luck.
    Gina47 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 04:21 AM
    At the end of the day you have to make a choice between your hearing and dollars!! Hope you find the right hearing aids for you.
    megha35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 01:08 AM
    All hearing aids contain the same parts to carry sound from the environment into your ear. However, hearing aids do come in a number of styles, which differ in size and the way they're placed in your ear. Some are small enough to fit inside your ear canal, making them almost invisible.
    You can visit

Center for Hearing Aids

And get information about all hearing aids... :)
    megha35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Hey for siemens u can visit at Siemens Hearing Aids Price List in India - Hearing Aid price list in India and can see compleate price list/...
    Heinvest Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 11:28 AM
    Well as long as her hearing problem does not impact her daily life too much she doesn't need hearing aids. If she will want to get hearing aids there there are plenty of different models and styles that will match almost anybody's lifestyles. For instance there are "invisible hearing aids" that can barely be seen and go almost completely inside your ear. You can take a look at this hearing aids guide in order to find out more about the different types of hearing aids and companies.
    BellaMia99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 01:15 PM
    The best thing that you can do is get a really good audiologist and work with them to find the right fit and technology for your wife's type of hearing loss. The other piece of advice I can give, is don't give up, keep trying different solutions until she's perfectly happy. I know that in the States you have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee by law.

If you're looking for a truly invisible hearing aid look at the Lyric hearing aid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good vs Bad [ 31 Answers ]

Here is a good one. How do u difrence between good and bad. If a bad action can bring something good what kind of action is it? I have heard a lot of sentences like, why God permits bad things to happen, well maybe they are not bad as we think they are. Maybe it is possible that there is no good...

Good or bad [ 1 Answers ]

Stock price maximization good or bad for sociaty

Bad or good ! [ 20 Answers ]

Dear exerts , How can you tell whether your spirituality is in the right direction or wrong?? Regards Navid

Good or bad? [ 19 Answers ]

So there is this guy at work who I get on with really well. We are always telling each other jokes and having a laugh. However, he has recently startd being overly nice. Everyday I come into work, he will shout hello and then follow with "you look very nice today" - it's really nice and made...

View more questions Search