Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike3489 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 04:11 PM
    Do I have a lawsuit
    Yesterday my girlfriend was taken to jail and kids were taken because we were help a friend with somewhere to stay away from the controlling home environment she lived in. My girlfriend left to take me to work yesterday morning and the friend baby sat the kids until she got back. Well her mother showed up before my girl made it home and snatched her daughter from the house closed the door and called the police to tell them that 2 toddlers were home alone then left. When my girl pulled up the police officer was here and he called dhs for kids and took her to jail. Neighbors who tried to tell the officer {name removed} what really happened were told to get out of the yard u have nothing to do with this. Now she is in jail with 25000 dollar bond. I had to pay 1000 to bond her out and I'm paying on the other 1500They would not listen neighbors at all because the girls mother left my kids here alone they were taken and my girl in jail. Neighbors a willing to provide witness statements to everything. I also have text messages from the girl stating her guilt and from her family patronizing us about our kids
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 21, 2013, 04:17 PM
    What state, and how old is the girl taken by her mother? Why didn't she call either one of you, or even the police, to say what was happening? How long was your girlfriend gone? What has she been charged with, and does she have a lawyer or PD?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Ok, let me get this straight. You allowed a friend to stay at your home (how old is this friend?). This friend's mother came to your home and took your friend (her daughter) away leaving two toddlers alone. The woman then called DHS to report that the children were left alone. Do I have it correct?

Who do you think you have a lawsuit against? Not the police officer. The police officer investigated a complaint found two toddlers home alone and acted properly. It didn't matter what the neighbors said. That is not up to him to judge. That's up to a court.

I'm not sure if have a lawsuit against your friend's mother, but you would have a better chance against her. What I think you should do is swear out a warrant against her for child endangerment. If I understand you, you have the testimony of your friend that she was watching the children and the corroborating testimony of the neighbors that the woman took your friend away leaving the children alone. If you can get a conviction on that, you can then file suit against the woman.

One of the kickers here is the age of your friend. If she is a minor, then your allowing her to stay with you was illegal. And can get you in big trouble.

Another thing I don't understand is the $25K bond. That is awfully high for someone with no record for this type of crime and especially with this situation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 21, 2013, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ... and does she have a lawyer or PD?
    A PD is a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Ok, let me get this straight. ...
    Good job de-cyphering that Scott. I read it several times and wasn't sure what OP was saying. After reading your post, it all fell into place.

May 21, 2013, 08:51 PM
    She is 18 and my girlfriend asked our daughter were you here alone. She said no she left ma. Anastasci left. The officer disregarded that

May 21, 2013, 08:56 PM
    What state, and how old is the girl taken by her mother? Why didn't she call either one of you, or even the police, to say what was happening? How long was your gf gone? What has she been charged with, and does she have a lawyer or PD?
    Mississippi and she is 18. My girl doesn't have a phone and her mother just wanted to be dirty because she thinks we where wrong for assisting her with a place to stay after she left home. She was gone for 2 hours
    And she is being charged with child neglect and. Hold endangerment

May 21, 2013, 09:01 PM
    Ok, let me get this straight. You allowed a friend to stay at your home (how old is this friend?). This friend's mother came to your home and took your friend (her daughter) away leaving two toddlers alone. The woman then called DHS to report that the children were left alone. Do I have it correct?

Who do you think you have a lawsuit against? Not the police officer. The police officer investigated a complaint found two toddlers home alone and acted properly. It didn't matter what the neighbors said. That is not up to him to judge. That's up to a court.

I'm not sure if have a lawsuit against your friend's mother, but you would have a better chance against her. What I think you should do is swear out a warrant against her for child endangerment. If I understand you, you have the testimony of your friend that she was watching the children and the corroborating testimony of the neighbors that the woman took your friend away leaving the children alone. If you can get a conviction on that, you can then file suit against the woman.

One of the kickers here is the age of your friend. If she is a minor, then your allowing her to stay with you was illegal. and can get you in big trouble.

Another thing I don't understand is the $25K bond. That is awfully high for someone with no record for this type of crime and especially with this situation.
    She is 18.

May 21, 2013, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike3489 View Post
    Mississippi and she is 18. My girl doesn't have a phone and her mother just wanted to be dirty bc she thinks we where wrong for assisting her with a place to stay after she left home. She was gone for 2 hours
    And she is being charged with child neglect and. Hold endangerment
    and she wasn't working either so this friend had phone. It was off. Her sister disconnected it when she left her home

May 22, 2013, 02:40 AM
    She is 18 and my girlfriend asked our daughter were you here alone. She said no she left ma. Anastasci left. The officer disregarded that
    You have to try to be clearer in your posts. It is hard to help you if we don't understand what you are saying.

I get the friend was 18, so she is an adult and can make her own decision about where to live. Are you saying that your girlfriend asked her if she was alone before allowing her to stay with you? Who is Anastasci, the friend? And again, the officer only had to see that two toddlers were in the house alone and his actions were proper.

Before you swear out a warrant against the mother you need to make sure you have testimony that she was the one who left the children alone. That your girlfriend had left them with a babysitter.

May 22, 2013, 03:02 AM
    You have to try to be clearer in your posts. It is hard to help you if we don't understand what you are saying.

I get the friend was 18, so she is an adult and can make her own decision about where to live. Are you saying that your girlfriend asked her if she was alone before allowing her to stay with you? Who is Anastasci, the friend? And again, the officer only had to see that two toddlers were in the house alone and his actions were proper.

Before you swear out a warrant against the mother you need to make sure you have testimony that she was the one who left the children alone. That your girlfriend had left them with a babysitter.
    I have testimony in text messages which I've already gotten printed out

May 22, 2013, 03:08 AM

No she ask our daughter was she home alone. She said no anastasci left. Anastasci is the friend

May 22, 2013, 03:24 AM
    No she ask our daughter was she home alone. She said no anastasci left. Anastasci is the friend
    Remember we don't know the situation. You have to talk as if you are telling this to someone outside the situation (which you are). And try to use proper punctuation.

Who asked your daughter? Your daughter said Anastasci left? To whom?

As for the texts, print them out and get the senders to sign them. Then go to your local police or prosecutor about the situation.

I'm still wondering why the high bail.
    current pert

May 22, 2013, 04:16 AM
    An 18 year old is an adult. A parent can't just 'take' her 18 year old daughter away. I don't see a lawsuit against the mother unless she forced her at gunpoint. The daughter was supposed to stay with the children. The parent is ultimately responsible for the actions of the babysitter.

May 22, 2013, 04:35 AM
    Joy has a point. It was Anastasci's responsibility to care for the children. She accepted that responsibility. Therefore, she is the one responsible for endangering the children by leaving them alone. A lot may depend on the level of force used by her mother. On the other hand, the mother's calling the police to report unattended children when she was behind causing them to be unattended, could open her for some level of liability along with Anastasci.

But, I'm not seeing much of a lawsuit here.

May 22, 2013, 04:55 AM
    Remember we don't know the situation. You have to talk as if you are telling this to someone outside the situation (which you are). And try to use proper punctuation.

As for the texts, print them out and get the senders to sign them. Then go to your local police or prosecutor about the situation.

anastsci the friend won't sign because she doesn't want to be liable for this. We don't even know where she is. Her family has convinced her to not cooperate with us. I have 4 pages of text messages detailing her action though. She even states her name in the text messages. And I just want file a claim for the 2500 it cost to get my girl out and possibly emotional distress for getting my girl arrested and our kids taken by dhs

May 22, 2013, 04:57 AM

My girlfriend asked my daughter and she stated the answer to the officer.

May 22, 2013, 05:02 AM
    An 18 year old is an adult. A parent can't just 'take' her 18 year old daughter away. I don't see a lawsuit against the mother unless she forced her at gunpoint. The daughter was supposed to stay with the children. The parent is ultimately responsible for the actions of the babysitter.
    I understand what you're saying that's what she did. She is afraid of them. I ha e her cell phone with threatening texts from her( anastasci) sister saying how she was going to whoop her when she caught her. This was clearly a setup
    current pert

May 22, 2013, 05:17 AM
    Yes, a set up in a sense. That won't help a lot in court unless you pay a really good lawyer - and I mean for her defense. You need to be worrying about defense first, not suing anybody!

And to AKlawyer, yes, of course a PD is a lawyer. I suppose I should say private lawyer to distinguish.

May 22, 2013, 05:36 AM
    Yes, a set up in a sense. That won't help a lot in court unless you pay a really good lawyer - and I mean for her defense. You need to be worrying about defense first, not suing anybody!

And to AKlawyer, yes, of course a PD is a lawyer. I suppose I should say private lawyer to distinguish.
    Dhs decide this case and they are Willing to accept my evidence. Do t I the right to present my alibi to the court and it be investigated
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2013, 05:48 AM
    The "friend" is the one you can sue, for leaving children alone, her mother can not "make" her do anything, since she is a adult.

For the DHS, it appears you left children with someone who is not responsible, and will need to work with DHS on this. But you will need a good defense, (not alibi) you will need to prove your provided someone to watch, and prove what happened.

As long as the girl watching was 18, not younger, most of this falls on her, but then if you knew she had any issues, they may also blame you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do we Have a Lawsuit [ 21 Answers ]

We were 4 of the 8 people stuck on a Monorail for 2 hours at pearl ridge mall in Hawaii because the system as well as its back up failed. Afraid and anxious to get to safety we were extracted (rescued) by the HFD.

Is this a possible lawsuit? [ 5 Answers ]

To make a long story short. Im a 26 year old male who decided fun was over time to get serious. Last year I brought a big rig a few months later I got me a mortgage on a noce home. Im rarely home but I strive for joce stuff. Ok to the chase. I do my hardest to make sure all my bills are paid...

Do I have a lawsuit? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,I'm woundeing if ihave a lawsuite.I think I can sue the local police dept.county jail.news dispatch and my ex employer. I received a 300 adcance frommy ex boss and dident return on time to do the job.hes gets angry and instead of fileing a small claims cause he slanders my name to friends...

Insurance lawsuit vs. Personal lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

My parents recently are trying to work through an insurance settlement for a car accident involving my brother. He was injured. They hired lawyer to assist with the settlement. A sheriff brought a letter to the others involved stating my parents intent to sue. They had thought it was within...

Do I have a lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 2nd degree burn at work changing the fryers. I was improperly trained and we are not supposed to change the fryers while there on but they made me I got burned and they continued to make me work. I didn't fill out and accident report until a week later and they offered no medical attention

View more questions Search