Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katemgrant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 10:07 PM
    Do I have to pay my lawyer by my court date?
    So I made a mistake 1 year ago and have been trying to end it since then(my first misdemeanor the won't show up once I get through court) My lawyer never contacts me to remind me of my next court date and wasn't even there my last court date(his secretary was) his fee is $500 and I have paid $200 already (I am still going to pay him). My last court date is Thursday and I won't have the money to pay him till friday(my first pay check) what will happen
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 20, 2013, 10:18 PM
    Why haven't you been staying in touch with him? That's your responsibility.

Does he know you can't pay him on your court date? If he doesn't, it's time to talk with him about that.
    Katemgrant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why haven't you been staying in touch with him? That's your responsibility.

Does he know you can't pay him on your court date? If he doesn't, it's time to talk with him about that.
    No he never gave me any contact information I just gave him mine.(when he showed up randomly) he just showed up on my first court date.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2013, 03:15 AM
    Sounds like an ambulance chaser. However, this is partially up to the lawyer. Once entered as attorney of record a lawyer can't just drop out.

Also what makes you think it is the lawyer's responsibility to remind you of court dates?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 21, 2013, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Sounds like an ambulance chaser. However, this is partially up to the lawyer. Once entered as attorney of record a lawyer can't just drop out.

Also what makes you think it is the lawyer's responsibility to remind you of court dates?
    Methinks he is not yet the attorney of record. So, technically, OP is pro se (defending himself) at this point.

What kind of "court date" are you talking about? Usually the judge would want the identity of defendant's attorney settled well in advance of trial.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2013, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Methinks he is not yet the attorney of record. So, technically, OP is pro se (defending himself) at this point.

What kind of "court date" are you talking about? Usually the judge would want the identity of defendant's attorney settled well in advance of trial.
    OP referred to:
    "wasn't even there my last court date".

This implies he has had more than one court date and the attorney showed up for at least one of them. So I would guess he's the attorney of record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I pay my auto garage debt off before court date do I still have to attend court [ 1 Answers ]

I owe some dollars to my garage mechanic. I was paying every month but then the billing stopped so I thought it was paid off. It wasn't. Now they want to go to small claims court to get the money. I have the full amount of the debt right now so if I pay the debt off on 7/9/12 would I still have to...

Custody court date assigned, but not lawyer [ 14 Answers ]

My husband is currently seeking custody of his children in NY State and at the initial hearing, both parents asked for a continuation in order to seek counsel. My husband applied for a lawyer through the clerk's office and I assume his ex-wife did as well since she often makes reference to her...

Awaiting lawyer to get court date for a year [ 10 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a lawsuit where my daughter was injured. It's an open and shut case (the school is responsible and will have to pay) but of course for the last three years we've been getting jerked around by the lawyers and I'm tired of this whole last year being told (as my lawyer always...

Default Judgement for Lawyer missing court date [ 4 Answers ]

A default judgement was granted against me in the amount of $100,000 for my attorney missing court. We filed a motion to reconsider and was granted a new trial in open court. However, the judge did not sign the order for another month and we lost the appeal is the state appellate court. I have nor...

View more questions Search