Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetiepie77 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 04:23 AM
    Should my kids give my partner a fathers day gift?
    Hi all. New here. Quick question.

I lost my hubby 3 years ago and have met a new partner and the kids get on great with him. Should I bring up the subject of a fathers day present for him to my kids or just leave it for now. Kids are 13 and 15 boys.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 21, 2013, 04:52 AM
    Obviously your new friend isn't your kids' father, so I don't see why the kids should do anything more than say "Happy Father's Day" - IF he's a father (is he?).
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 21, 2013, 05:08 AM
    How long have you been together?

For the past couple of years, how have your sons been celebrating Father's Day or have they? I know some people use Mother's and Father's days as a time to remember parents who have passed away.

Personally, I would leave the subject alone and be ready if they bring it up. Even if you remarry or he becomes a live-in, I would leave it up to them to decide if/when they feel comfortable seeing him as a father.

Just like your relationship with him has to develop at its own pace so does theirs.

Have you talked to him about whether he is comfortable with being recognized as a father figure? Does he see himself as more their friend than as a parent?
    sweetiepie77 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 01:19 AM
    Thanks guys. Now that I ve written down this problem , and read your comments I realise that it is better to just leave it . Thanks again :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

7weeks and 1 day with two possible fathers [ 1 Answers ]

On the 1st of June 2011 I took one depo shot and my next appointment was on the 22nd of September but I never went again for my second shot.I was seeing my periods during all this time when I was waiting for the injection to wear off.so I had two boyfriends,it hapend that I slept with guy 1 on the...

Fathers Day Help! [ 0 Answers ]

I need some suggestions for a Fathers Day gift... I have a terrible time trying to find the "perfect gift" at the best of times but fathers day has got to be the hardest... I'm looking for something for the love of my life and the man who has earned the title "Dad". I would like this gift to be...

On Fathers Day... Happy Fathers Day [ 10 Answers ]

Happy Fathers Day to all of you Dads on the forum and to your Dads. For all the fathers who are no longer with us. Love you Dad and I miss you every day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1TAQ4j16RA - - Cached - Similar pages

Happy Fathers Day Everybody [ 3 Answers ]

I hope every one has a nice fathers day... it will probably be better than mine ( we are suppose to go to go out for dinner together today) My stepdad will probably get caught looking at another woman AGAIN and my mom will spend the whole day yelling and ruin the whole day (she can't pull out any...

Fathers Day [ 4 Answers ]

So my dad died when I was 8 and he was never the best of guy we were never close or anything. But I seemed to have never gotten over it I still cry all the time and with fathers day coming up so close I have been a total mess. My mom is making me go to dinner with her husband(my step dad) who I...

View more questions Search