Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabarlee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Tax Lien Sales lists
    What is a good web site to get the tax lien sales from ?
    tauthail Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2007, 03:43 AM
    Sabarlee,

Check out Tax Lien Auction, Government Tax Liens, Auctions, and Lien Sales You can then search the towns or cities listed
    In specific states and with some legwork you can get most of the information without
    Buying the list.

R
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 07:03 AM
    There is not a list, there are companies that compile lists from some major counties, or some VA or HUD forclosures,

But what happens each county in each state in the US, have their tax sales on various days normally once a year at the county court house.
    They will publish the list of tax liens about a month prior to the sale in the legal section of the local newspaper and place a copy on the official post at the court house, A few of the larger counties may or may not have these on a web site, but many don't.

You have to be present at the sale to bid on it. And about 90 percent of the property listed a month before the sale, have the owners come in and pay the taxes before the sale, so they never sale, It is not till the morning of the sale that you actually know which properties will or won't sell that day.

All of the states where I have bought property ( about 7) require you to be present at the sale, and require you to pay in cash, cashiers check, or pre approved check at the time of sale.

In some states you get deed that day, in others you get a tax certificate which you redeem in 1 to 3 years after you give the previous owner the right to get their property back by paying you what you paid, plus interest plus any improvements on property.

I have searched many HUD and many FHA and other online auction or sale sites, and most only have homes selling closer to actual value, not for the smaller tax amounts.

Also note that it is a bidding situation, so the tax owed may be only 2000 dollars, but the bid for a property, if it is a very nice piece can be 30,000 if there are enough bidders there wanting that property. So you never know what you may get.

But there is money to be made, one piece of land I bought for under 100 I had a offer last year for over 15000, I have never lost any money on a tax sale, but I have NEVER seen a really nice home selling for taxes either.

Remember if it has a mortgage on it,the mortgage company will pay the taxes at the last minute normally so they won't lose their interest in the home. Then they will foreclose thierself.

so you decide where you are willing to travel to to buy properties, contact the clerk and find out the day and time for the sale, and then go.

There will also be police sells of properties taken in drug raids and the such, often these will be posted on some of the sites like advertised above, or other free government sites that show property being sold

GovSales - Home Page

This is a FREE government web site that lists everything from cars ( some really good deals on cars) to airplanes, to houses for sale.

also each state normally has a FREE web site, here is TN's

Tennessee Department of General Services

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property [ 3 Answers ]

For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years. Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule? Thank-you, ...

Tax lien sales in TN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi and thanks for being there. I'm interested in beginning purchasing tax lien properties in and around Knoxville TN. Does anybody out there know the procedure. I have a list of properties to look at which are going up for auction soon. I think I should go take a look at the area, the houses,...

Tax lien sales in TN [ 1 Answers ]

It has just struck me there might be some web sites I could go see lists of properties whose tax bill has not been paid. If anybody knows any I'd be appreciative to know what they are. Thanks Sarah

Sales tax id#? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of opening an embroidery business operating from my home. I need to purchase clothing, blankets, hats, etc to have on hand as samples. I was told by the vendors that I need a sales tax id number?? or a resale tax id number?? I might be talking about 2 different tax id...

View more questions Search