Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2013, 11:51 AM
    Cleaning silver the natural way
    Hi all.

I have a few very old silver pieces that are in desperate need of polishing. I've used store bought silver polish in the past, but the smell and the fact that it doesn't work, has turned me off these products.

The pieces I have, have crevices, and it's very hard to get into them.

In other words, I'm looking for a way to clean the silver, without damaging it, and without using store bought silver polish.

Things I've already tried:

1. store bought silver polish
    2. ash (it works but it's abrasive)
    3. toothpaste (works, but I'm worried that it will damage the silver)
    4. tinfoil and baking soda (don't suggest I add salt, I've found a lot of info online that warns against it, and that advice makes sense, salt is corrosive).

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I actually want to sell this set, it's a silver tea set with an ivory handle, and it's around 300 years old. We need the money right now, and it's worth quite a bit, but I'll get more if it's all polished and looking pretty.

There is a lot of tarnish on it right now, because I'm afraid to clean it. I don't want to damage it.

Any tips?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2013, 12:13 PM
    #4 did nothing?
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2013, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    #4 did nothing?
    It did a bit, but it's been in the sink with the tinfoil and baking soda for over 2 hours, and the little bit it did do, isn't really noticeable. They're really tarnished.

I'm really considering using ashes. I know that works, but the last time I used it, it left marks. Of course I did clean with a toothbrush, and that may be why.

The one I'm most concerned about is the actual tea pot, it's the one with the ivory handle. I don't feel comfortable dipping it in anything, because of the ivory.

I just need it clean, shiny, and undamaged, so I can sell it. I've found an antique appraiser, and we're going this week to find out what we can get for it. It's a gorgeous set, and if the stories my late Uncle (not blood, just friend of the family) told me about it, are true, it's worth a lot of money. Even if the stories aren't true, I know for a fact it's at least 300 years old, and the ivory alone make it worth a lot. We really need to get the best price we can for this set. Sadly, I haven't taken very good care of it, tarnish wise. :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2013, 12:26 PM
    I was the official silver polisher when I was growing up (attention to detail leads to library career). My mom always advised me not to totally remove the tarnish, that there should be some of it left in the grooves to give definition. How true that is I'm not sure, but I always left some of the black in the grooves. While in college, I polished silver (and cleaned house) for wealthy families in that area. They never seemed unhappy with what I did in leaving some black in the grooves.

My polish of choice has always been Wright's plus a soft cloth, usually an old diaper. There are liquids for dipping, but my mom (yay, Mom!) always told me not to use them.

As for how to remove tarnish in an eco-friendly way and so you don't inhale noxious fumes, the general consensus on the internet seems to be a combination of hot water, vinegar, foil and baking soda (and minimal amount of salt). I've never tried it, but reliable-looking sites claim it's the cat's meow. Here is an illustrated site (by a Canadian cleaning expert) with a video even --

The Best-Kept Silver Cleaning Secret Ever! | Clean My Space
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Thanks WG.

I'll try it. Boiling the water now. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Thanks WG.

I'll try it. Boiling the water now. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I have tarnished silver I will bring to you if this works.

That cleaning site is run by a Canadian, so I thought that might toot your whistle.
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2013, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I have tarnished silver I will bring to you if this works.
    LOL! If it works, I'm selling it and never bothering with silver again. ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
    LOL! If it works, I'm selling it and never bothering with silver again. ;)
    Pay Syd and Jared $10 an hour to clean silver with Wright's.
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2013, 01:18 PM
    OMG! The smell! It stinks to high heaven!

It is working a bit, the silver is definitely less tarnished, but it leaves a line. Definitely not great for big pieces. Jewellery I can see it being good for, but big pieces, not so much, because you can't dip the bigger pieces in all at once.

But it does work to a point. Not as great as they say, but well enough if you have light tarnish and small pieces.
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
    Pay Syd and Jared $10 an hour to clean silver with Wright's.
    I can't afford that! ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
    OMG! The smell! It stinks to high heaven!
    I'll send you a case of Wright's. It smells okay, if I remember. Have a polishing party with the kids.
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2013, 01:23 PM
    I'll send you a case of Wright's. It smells okay, if I remember. Have a polishing party with the kids.
    Rod found some silver polish, so I'm going to try that next.

I have to say, the worst part of the tinfoil solution is the smell. I've smelled that smell before, Rod said he has too, but neither of us can place it. All I can say is that it's bad, very bad. It's an assault on the senses.

But, it does work, only not for the pieces I have. :(
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 20, 2013, 03:48 PM
    No help on the cleaning and you wouldn't want to do this on eating utensils. Should be fine for exterior surfaces of tea set. Spray with WD40 to prevent, at least retard, tarnishing after cleaning..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 20, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    No help on the cleaning and you wouldn't want to do this on eating utensils. Should be fine for exterior surfaces of tea set. Spray with WD40 to prevent, at least retard, tarnishing after cleaning..
    One site suggested wiping with olive oil. Oil must be the key to retarding tarnish development.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 20, 2013, 04:04 PM
    Could be. Don't want to be to technical but WD40 is not oil or lubricant, it is a water displacement fluid, formula number 40. Hence the name WD40. Don't use on your sliding patio door rollers. Repeated use builds up a sticky residue.
    Pets Expert

May 20, 2013, 05:46 PM
    Thanks hk. So far they're still tarnished. I was going to use the silver polish Rod had, it's called Silvo. I decided against it when reading the warnings. That was a long list, which included,don't use near any electric outlets, use in well ventilated space, use eye protection as fumes can cause blindness. I don't need shiny silver badly enough to put myself at that kind of risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Silver Co - silver soldered creamer/ sugar 05002? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sugar(no lid)and a creamer marked the same. Above it has "Congressional Country Club, beneath that, International Silver Co. Silver Soldered 05002 5 oz with a small boxed '24' What can you tell me about these ?

US silver coin certtificate of 1923/ raised a mortgage on gold and silver treasury [ 1 Answers ]

I saw silver coin certificates of 1923. On it sys, Face Value: One Hundred Million The Certificate Raised a Mortgage on Gold Silver Treasury Jade Ware Valid Forever At Sight Pay To The Bearer.Is this real?

Can I get my natural silver hair back with a color fix solution? [ 1 Answers ]

In Sept. I used a non-permanent hair color on my hair. My bangs were mostly silver and the color turned them a color I did not like. It has been 2 months and the color has not come out. If I use a color fix solution, will I get my natural silver back?

View more questions Search