Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lollymedina Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Cateracts
    I am 19 and have cateracts in both eyes. Im due to have them operated o

May 19, 2013, 11:37 AM
    Operated on in September they are putting me to sleep for the operation. I need someone who has had this procedure done to tell me if their vision was imporoved instantly ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Although a very common and easy operation these days, I don't know of anyone personally who has had it done at an age under 60, so I would hesitate to comment about what you can expect. They all had pretty much instant improvement, although usually one eye is done at a time 9 (such as a week apart) and covered with a patch just so that vision isn't so mismatched before the second eye is done.

May 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
    Ok thank you very much that has put my mind at ease
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2013, 04:25 PM
    I had instant nothing basically. The first two days after surgery I could barely see anything except a small amount of light. The Dr as is his routine saw me the first two mornings after the surgery and had no real concerns. It took about ten days to see anywhere near normally. It improved everyday after that and is fine now, which is a little over a month since surgery. But I can attest to the fact that not everyone has a vast improvement immediately after surgery. It depends for one thing on how much swelling occurs in the cornea as it is "hammered" with ultrasound to break up the cataract.
    I was not warned about any such reaction and I just had to trust the Dr that everything was normal. Best advice I can offer is to find a good Dr and follow his directions. The surgery procedure itself is nothing to worry about
    The procedure actually is nearly miraculous in my opinion. It was a major ordeal for many of my older friends back in the good ole days.
    But don't plan on instant clear vision. The eye has to heal.
    Don't panic if it isn't instantly better.
    I am also curious to why you have cataracts at such a young age and also why they are waiting until Sept. especially if vision is affected in both eyes.
    current pert

May 20, 2013, 04:38 PM
    I guess it varies then. When did you have yours?
    My friend who had it done most recently (about a month ago) was back online playing Scrabble with me the evening of the day she had the first eye done.
    She made her own eye patch because she was stumbling around with good vision in that eye and poor in the other.
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2013, 05:00 PM
    Mine was this past April 8th.
    For the first few days, I had some doubts that I was ever going to see properly out of that eye again. I didn't mention the "floaters". Looks like debris floating through the eyeball, sometimes hundreds of black specs falling like black pepper from top to bottom of eye. The Dr was concerned about the large amount of floaters and had me come in on the 4th day (which isn't routine for him) and he could see the floaters as he examined my eye after dilating the pupil. I researched it as much as I could and while floaters are common, they can also indicate a torn retina which can be extremely serious, but he saw no problem on the retina.
    I certainly would advise anybody who needs it to get it done (you really don't have much choice anyhow, especially if you want to be able to drive) but don't plan on instant utopia. It is trauma to the eye and recovery time can vary.
    I did a lot of driving for about 50 years and rarely used sunglasses and have now heard from several sources that bright sunlight can accelerate cataracts. I wish I had that one to do over again.
    current pert

May 20, 2013, 05:48 PM
    Not to digress too much, but I got what seemed like a million dark scary floaters all in one afternoon (and it was just before I went for an opth exam and told I have early cataracts). I was watching a show on unusual parasites that can often be detected by examining the eyes so I was sure I had parasites - not really, but it was tempting to feel that way.
    I'm told that a 'grey veil' in your vision is a sign of detached retina.
    I got flashers at the same time as floaters, but strangely, they went away after about a year.
    I wish OP would come back and tell us why she has cataracts at such a young age.
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2013, 08:09 PM
    I didn't get the bright flashes. The Dr. wasn't too concerned about the floaters but he always said- "but no flashing lights, right"? I have no expertise in this area, but I read every reference I could find and detached retina is very serious.

Jun 30, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Ive had it done and everything went fine! :):):):):) I could see as soon as I woke up happy girl got my second one due sooon!
    current pert

Jun 30, 2013, 03:02 PM
    HEY I'm so glad you came back to tell us!

Jun 30, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Ive got to have laser sugery after I've hadmy second eye done but the consultant said it will make my vision even better :) thanks guys!
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2013, 03:28 PM
    Lolly, glad to hear that. And I hope you have the same experience with the second one.
    But, to those who don't have instant results, give it time and don't panic, at least don't panic as long as your Dr. doesn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search