Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvofboatn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 07:01 AM
    Process for evicting tenants in NYS
    I have a tenant that has never paid their rent on time, have to ask several times. They harassed the upstairs tenants to a point that they asked to break their lease. They were very good tenants and I hated to see them move. I informed the downstairs tenants that their lease was up on June 30, 2013 and that I would not be renewing the lease. They now are refusing to pay May's rent. I had them served with a 3 day notice to pay on May 15th... now what do I do?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2013, 07:24 AM
    First - is his lease really up on June 30?
    If so, go to your local courthouse and file eviction papers. Be prepared for a possible hassle, so make sure all your ducks are in a row. Hire a lawyer if he starts finding reasons to fight eviction. Some people do find obscure legalities or ways to delay. It sounds like he plans to not pay either May or June if he can get away with staying there that long, which he might.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2013, 10:19 AM
    You go to your local housing court and file for an eviction order. You should have done that on May 16.

Why did you let the good tenants go and not terminate the bad ones?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nys eviction process? [ 10 Answers ]

In Jan of 2011 I let my niece come live with me with her son who she had joint custody of, in march her boyfriend also moved in. Neither were paying rent or any money to me. In July I requested to start getting rent paid to me. I asked for $75 per week plus a portion of my nieces food stamps to add...

Infant Adoption Process In NYS [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone provide me with advice, or direct me to the proper agency, for adopting an infant in New York State? I just married my partner of 7 yrs this past week, and we are in search of an LGBT friendly adoption agency in the Western NY area. I would also like some information on the costs...

Process for evicting squatters in nj [ 7 Answers ]

I have people that moved into my duplex without my approval, they have changed the locks and showed the police a torn off piece of paper they said I signed as a lease, which is not my signature. Now they are also occupying the second floor of my duplex too. The cops won't do anything, what are my...

Evicting handicapped tenants in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

I have a handicapped tenant in Texas. She uses a motorized wheelchair and is house bound. She Has not paid rent for 4 months with various excuses. What special considerations do handicapped Tenants get when it comes to eviction? Does the 3 day notice to pay rent or vacate still apply? Does...

Evicting tenants with no lease [ 1 Answers ]

How do I evict a tenant who's residency is contingent on the work he performs on the premises (or doesn't perform)? No agreements were signed, I live in New York

View more questions Search